The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun weekly contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted each week. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, and the chance to choose the next week's category. Fun people only please! If you take this too seriously you will have to leave the party until you are fun again.

Unread 12-19-2009, 12:28 AM   #16
BobBrisket

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

VEGETABLES? Fark, what a curve ball! You can always wrap veggies in bacon right?
UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker-Courtesy of Poobah, WSM, 22.5 Weber Kettles-K and DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver B, Lil' Chief Smoker, Lodge Sportman Grill, Backyard Fire Pit, Dutch Ovens, Discada Set Up!
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver

My BEST Compliment......"You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son.
Git Smokin, Dan!
BobBrisket is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2009, 12:33 AM   #17
Yader
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I'm not sure whether to be confused by the eggplant or insulted...eggplant...on a grill/smoker/bbq? You know eggplant was officially created after "the fall" don't you?
Unread 12-25-2009, 09:23 PM   #18
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts

Most people think of tabbouleh or hummus when they think of parsley dishes. Parsley as a vegetable normally is eaten raw and it is not as common to cook or smoke it. Once a year I (Gore) makes a very special parsley dish for Master. Since Master likes it so much, I (Gore) will share this special dish with the BBQ Brethren and perhaps you too will share it with your family. I find the secret of a perfect dish is in careful preparation. After cleaning the parsley, it is critical to trim the stems and especially any brown leaves.

I (Gore) keeps the parsley cold to prevent unnecessary wilting of the leaves. The parsley is marinated in wine immediately after trimming the stems. This is so that the flavor of the wine can be infused into the parsley. I used a chardonnay this time. It gave the parsley a very nice flavor. Notice how the parsley is supported in the marinade. This is to prevent the stems from bruising by being crushed at the bottom of the glass and also to prevent the parsley leaves from being submerged in the wine and becoming saturated and slimy. I (Gore) sprays the parsley with a fine mist to prevent it from drying out and to keep it fresh.

Next, I (Gore) cold smokes the parsley. Parsley is very thin. Usually, only 5 to 20 minutes is all that is necessary for the smoke to penetrate completely. To keep the parsley fresh, it is placed on ice during the process.

I have sliced off this stem to show you the beautiful smoke ring. Unfortunately, I (Gore) was not in the laboratory, and Master does not have a microscope at home, so perhaps it is not very obvious in the photo.

Finally, with the parsley fully prepped, I (Gore) finishes Master's favorite parsley dish.

Master enjoys this so much, sometimes he cannot stop and even eats the garnish after he finishes the parsley! When this happens, I know that I have cooked the parsley to perfection. I am glad that you have let me share this dish with you and hope that you may share this with your family also.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Unread 12-25-2009, 11:04 PM   #19
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 1

Wow! That's some serious health food right there!
Yes, I own a whole bunch of BBQ crap also.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Get your MOINK Certification today!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club member
bigabyte is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2009, 11:18 PM   #20
cowgirl

lol Love your parsley dish Gore! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2009, 04:22 AM   #21
Jersey Joe
On the road to being a farker

Love that garnish. It would probably go great on an egg dish too.
Jersey Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2009, 03:47 PM   #22
ecode

Ooooo, never thought it would be hard to top Parsley!
ecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2009, 04:13 PM   #23
TnBob
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Okay, here goes. Asparagas wrapped in Proscuitto from Christmas dinner. I spritzed these with olive oil and roasted them in a basket with carrots. No pics of them on the grill but you can trust me. Right?

TnBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2009, 06:02 PM   #24
Moose
Quintessential Chatty Farker

People actually eat vegetables?
Frankenweber Pizza Kettle/Big Red UDS/Pit Barrel Cooker/Vision Kamado/Purebred American Rat Terrier Whisperer
www.mooseonfire.com
Food*BBQ*Delicious

Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2009, 06:16 PM   #25
ecode

OK, now this might not be as involved as the "Parsley" dish but here it goes...
First you make a ratatouille = eggplant , peppers, onion, garlic. For those of you completely unfamiliar, those are vegetables . I also season with thyme, pepper and salt.

Layer Filo dough with olive oil and Parmesan cheese. About 8 to 10 sheets. I was a bit busy, so I didn't make the Filo this time.

Then I tucked the filo into a tart pan and added the ratatouille.

I added a layer of cheese. You can use Provolone, but I used Manchego this time. Then a layer of tomatoes and zucchini.

Then a final coat of olive oil and Parmesan and pepper.

Then cooked on the Primo Oval with diffusers for 1hr. at 350*.

It has to cool a bit to slice nicely and in the summer when I make it we often serve it at room temp. These days, room temperature is too darn cold, so we serve it warm.

Use the last shot.
ecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2009, 06:23 PM   #26
Bogus Chezz Hawg
is One Chatty Farker

Do you need a license to hunt vegetables?
Unread 12-26-2009, 06:26 PM   #27
BobBrisket

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecode View Post
OK, now this might not be as involved as the "Parsley" dish but here it goes...
First you make a ratatouille = eggplant , peppers, onion, garlic. For those of you completely unfamiliar, those are vegetables . I also season with thyme, pepper and salt.

Layer Filo dough with olive oil and Parmesan cheese. About 8 to 10 sheets. I was a bit busy, so I didn't make the Filo this time.

Then I tucked the filo into a tart pan and added the ratatouille.

I added a layer of cheese. You can use Provolone, but I used Manchego this time. Then a layer of tomatoes and zucchini.

Then a final coat of olive oil and Parmesan and pepper.

Then cooked on the Primo Oval with diffusers for 1hr. at 350*.

It has to cool a bit to slice nicely and in the summer when I make it we often serve it at room temp. These days, room temperature is too darn cold, so we serve it warm.

Use the last shot.
Oh yeah, baby!!! That's it right there. DAYYYUUUM, that looks good. I'd so hit that!
UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker-Courtesy of Poobah, WSM, 22.5 Weber Kettles-K and DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver B, Lil' Chief Smoker, Lodge Sportman Grill, Backyard Fire Pit, Dutch Ovens, Discada Set Up!
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver

My BEST Compliment......"You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son.
Git Smokin, Dan!
BobBrisket is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2009, 06:53 PM   #28
1_T_Scot
is Blowin Smoke!

Does MAC and CHEESE count as a vegtable?

Supporting Disabled Veterans. Link Removed. Diveheart .org

Large Big Green Egg - Fathers Day 2009
1_T_Scot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2009, 08:04 PM   #29
bigabyte

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 1

Wow! That Ratatouille Tart has got my vote so far! Fantastic! I would eat that up in a heartbeat!
Yes, I own a whole bunch of BBQ crap also.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Get your MOINK Certification today!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club member
bigabyte is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2009, 08:39 PM   #30
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
Wow! That Ratatouille Tart has got my vote so far! Fantastic! I would eat that up in a heartbeat!
You know with these votes being public, we're going to find out who the closet vegetarians are .
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is online now   Reply With Quote