The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 12-03-2009, 11:14 AM   #1
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Equipment

Hi,

I know that people are very careful when choosing their equipment for comps.

Aside from your smoker, people seem pretty attached to their knives and thermapens seem pretty ubiquitous (especially the superfast mauve ones).

Are people also particular about their coolers (for example, Yeti vs. Igloo) or tents or tables?

Thanks,

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-03-2009, 11:36 AM   #2
Buster Dog BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I think on the tables a lot of people like the ones some at Sam's. Think they are called Lifetime tables or something. Mainly because they are adjustable.

I dont have a preference on the cooler. Just big enough to hold all my comp food.

I like canopies that go up quick. Not that stuff that has to be pieced together. Most guys you will see have EZ Up Brand.

Unread 12-03-2009, 11:42 AM   #3
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

I like Igloo coolers.

https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/stor...nufacturer=314

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous

"Walk with Us"
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-03-2009, 12:23 PM   #4
early mornin' smokin'
is One Chatty Farker

hmm....coolers, igloo for the cold stuff, CAMBRO for the hot stuff. Maverick et-73's, cant beat the ez-ups. Tables, doesnt matter to me as long as i have my trusty 15 inch pvc pieces to raise them up to a respectable height.

Unread 12-03-2009, 12:35 PM   #5
TN_BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by early mornin' smokin' View Post
hmm Tables, doesnt matter to me as long as i have my trusty 15 inch pvc pieces to raise them up to a respectable height.
Yep.
That PVC trick will save your back.

Unread 12-03-2009, 12:36 PM   #6
BobBrisket

I really like the Oxo Good Grips equipment line. I like the peelers, paring knives, etc. One thing I'm VERY particular with is tongs. (NOT THONGS!) I can only use the Oxo brand tongs with the lock feature. My BIL kept my very first pair of OXO tongs. I was lost when I discoved I had lost em. Looked all over the place and just decided to go out and buy a new pair. I felt much better knowing there was a pair in the kitchen drawer in case I needed them. Strange, but I just can't use any other kind. I have fits when I'm at my parent's house and using their pair of tongs. It must be my OCD!
UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker-Courtesy of Poobah, WSM, 22.5 Weber Kettles-K and DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver B, Lil' Chief Smoker, Lodge Sportman Grill, Backyard Fire Pit, Dutch Ovens, Discada Set Up!
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver

My BEST Compliment......"You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son.
Git Smokin, Dan!
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-03-2009, 02:20 PM   #7
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 1

Haven't bought Cambro's yet... but do use a few large "5 day" coolers until then.

Former smokers;
Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-03-2009, 02:47 PM   #8
roxikitties7
Full Fledged Farker

global knives..... 8" chef my fav
roxikitties7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-03-2009, 02:49 PM   #9
jetfxr27
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoeric View Post
Hi,

I know that people are very careful when choosing their equipment for comps.

Aside from your smoker, people seem pretty attached to their knives and thermapens seem pretty ubiquitous (especially the superfast mauve ones).

Are people also particular about their coolers (for example, Yeti vs. Igloo) or tents or tables?

Thanks,

Eric
From my studies as far as consumer grade goes , the igloos are more expensive than coleman, but have better hardware. They both hold cold as long as one another.

Ultimately its how you use the cooler. How often you open the lid, if you add another piece of foam on top of your contents, drain the water off as it melts, etc.

Unread 12-03-2009, 02:50 PM   #10
NorthwestBBQ

Caravan Canopy's are #1 on the west coast:

http://www.caravancanopy.com/
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-03-2009, 03:21 PM   #11
Divemaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by early mornin' smokin' View Post
hmm....coolers, igloo for the cold stuff, CAMBRO for the hot stuff. Maverick et-73's, cant beat the ez-ups. Tables, doesnt matter to me as long as i have my trusty 15 inch pvc pieces to raise them up to a respectable height.
I agree on the Cambros but not just for the hot stuff... I have a large Igloo that I use for transportation of the meat but once it's trimmed and or seasoned it goes into a pre-cooled (large hotel pan of ice for 20-30 minutes) cambro on a sheet pan. This works out best for us. In fact, we have two of them stacked and keep the top one pre-heated and the bottom one chilled. Once all the meat is out of the igloo (the meat is cryo-sucked before it goes in so there is no cross contamination) our boxes are made up and stored in there...

We also bring two Maverick ET-73's at the comps. One to use and one for a back up. Excuse the pun but we almost got burned when we broke one....

As for the canopy, we picked up a 'King Canopy' at Costco that we really like. It came with four walls that not only keep the heat in (it gets chilly here) but also gives us some privacy.
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-03-2009, 03:49 PM   #12
BobBrisket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divemaster View Post
I agree on the Cambros but not just for the hot stuff... I have a large Igloo that I use for transportation of the meat but once it's trimmed and or seasoned it goes into a pre-cooled (large hotel pan of ice for 20-30 minutes) cambro on a sheet pan. This works out best for us. In fact, we have two of them stacked and keep the top one pre-heated and the bottom one chilled. Once all the meat is out of the igloo (the meat is cryo-sucked before it goes in so there is no cross contamination) our boxes are made up and stored in there...

We also bring two Maverick ET-73's at the comps. One to use and one for a back up. Excuse the pun but we almost got burned when we broke one....

As for the canopy, we picked up a 'King Canopy' at Costco that we really like. It came with four walls that not only keep the heat in (it gets chilly here) but also gives us some privacy.
Hmm, so what exactly would you be doing in this King Canopy that you would need "privacy?"
UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker-Courtesy of Poobah, WSM, 22.5 Weber Kettles-K and DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver B, Lil' Chief Smoker, Lodge Sportman Grill, Backyard Fire Pit, Dutch Ovens, Discada Set Up!
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver

My BEST Compliment......"You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son.
Git Smokin, Dan!
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-03-2009, 03:52 PM   #13
Divemaster

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBrisket View Post
Hmm, so what exactly would you be doing in this King Canopy that you would need "privacy?"
Some how I know that no matter what I say it's going to sound wrong so I might as well just say it....

It's all that secret seasoning that I use.

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.

Unread 12-03-2009, 03:57 PM   #14
NorthwestBBQ

Quote:
And what's that?
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-03-2009, 04:00 PM   #15
Divemaster

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestBBQ View Post
And what's that?
Ya gotta know the password.....