MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Food Handling General Discussion

Notices

Food Handling General Discussion General and open discussion for food handling and safety.

Old 11-01-2007, 04:01 PM   #1
Roo-B-Q'N
is One Chatty Farker

Default Turkey time

Turkey day is just around the corner and a few people have assked if I would cook their turkeys for them. I am a somewhat hesitant to do so becuase of the timing issues.
I know once the bird is cooked, it needs to be cooled down to 70 degrees within 2 hours and then below 41 in 4.
I have also heard that once chilled, the bird would need to be brought back up to above 140 degrees within one hour.
Are we turkey eaters running a risk when we get the bird to the table and it enters the danger zone so quickly and sits there for so long? If so I am surprised more and more people are not getting sick each holiday.
Large Spicewine, Backwoods Smoker (Party), WSM, Oklahoma Joe's Offset, Wood Fired Oven
Roo-B-Q'N is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2007, 09:26 PM   #2
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

One of the few reasons we are eating prime rib for x-mas.

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Your beard is so stupid, it took two hours to watch 60 Minutes.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 09:34 PM   #3
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Doesn't the meat have to be removed from the bone if refrigerated? Maybe an old wives' tale.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 08:41 AM   #4
Roo-B-Q'N
is One Chatty Farker

I guess this is what I am talking about as well. So many trueths, myths and legends that it is hard to say what is correct and what is wrong. This is how people get sick.
Large Spicewine, Backwoods Smoker (Party), WSM, Oklahoma Joe's Offset, Wood Fired Oven
Roo-B-Q'N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 10:10 AM   #5
parrothead
somebody shut me the fark up.

The cooling times are correct, however, you must bring it back over 160 before serving and hold over 140. There are ways to cool things faster. Ice pack in the cavity and around the bird etc..

As far as setting on the table, well you are good for a couple hours. The bacteria count doubles every 20 minutes. I get stuff put away as fast as possible.

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 10:54 PM   #6
Dave Muscato
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo-B-Q'N View Post
Are we turkey eaters running a risk when we get the bird to the table and it enters the danger zone so quickly and sits there for so long? If so I am surprised more and more people are not getting sick each holiday.
The human body is surprisingly resistant to bacteria.

Not that we should risk it, but bacteria is *everywhere.* It's amazing we don't get sick more often no matter how you slice it (har, har).
--> George Foreman LMFRGM 19" (electric)
--> Weber Spirit E-310 24" (propane)
--> Weber 1-Touch Silver 22.5" (charcoal)

Last edited by Dave Muscato; 11-04-2007 at 01:56 AM..
Dave Muscato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 08:46 AM   #7
trekmstr
Full Fledged Farker

The real issue it to make sure it is cooked right to begin with. Cook until you get an internal temperature in the thickest part of the thigh (not touching the bone) of 170°F.
I have used my Weber grill with a rotisserie ring for turkeys almost every year for 7 or 8 years now and I still go back and review the Weber web site every year.
It has great guides for figuring your fuel needs and times depending on the size of your bird.
You also want to consider how you are serving it. Some people serve the bird whole and slice at the table. I slice and place on a platter. This takes longer so you need to plan for it. Either way you want everything else to be ready to go at the same time. (that is perhaps the hardest thing… especially if you are waiting on family)
http://weber.com/holidaygrilling/
http://weber.com/holidaygrilling/Tips.aspx