喂我西摩
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:32 AM   #1
grossepellets
Full Fledged Farker

Default ANyone know of a technical book on burning fuel?

Does anyone know of a cook book/ a fuel book? How, what, timing, temperatures, devices, apparatus and fuels how to use wood, charcoal, etc technically speaking stuff that would give me insight into keeping temperatures with wood in kettles, the timing on opening doors, using temp gauges, things like that. More along the lines of sustaining smoke and heat in all types of smokers and with varieties of fuels.

Old 10-23-2009, 09:02 AM   #2
Redheart
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by grossepellets View Post
Does anyone know of a cook book/ a fuel book? How, what, timing, temperatures, devices, apparatus and fuels how to use wood, charcoal, etc technically speaking stuff that would give me insight into keeping temperatures with wood in kettles, the timing on opening doors, using temp gauges, things like that. More along the lines of sustaining smoke and heat in all types of smokers and with varieties of fuels.
The only book I know of is my cooking log book. I keep pretty detailed info on each cook as I go along so I can refer to it each time I cook. It is still a little trial and error but it is allowing me to narrow the error margin a great deal.

Old 10-23-2009, 09:29 AM   #3
Skip
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grossepellets View Post

I don't want to sound out of line. This may come across badly so please forgive me. If there was a book for that we'd all own it and read it daily. lol That is one of the biggest parts of cooking well. How fuel behaves in your cooker. We could both have a bandera and I may use 2 sticks an hour while you use 1. Did you use Royal Oak or Green Egg lump. Is your wood devoid of any moisture, slightly green or somewhere in between. Is it Kingsford or rancher. Is it cold or warm out. Whats the wind. There are so many variables. I think your best bet is to research cooking times here. Many have given in depth reports on their cooker, modifications and types of fuel they use. From the simple to very complex and theoretical stuff. Definitely read about the UDS and burning clean. There is a lot there that can be utilized in any cook.

Swamp Pit BBQ's freeloader

To part or not to part: that is the question. Whether ‘tis nobler in the mind to part and suffer the slings and arrows of ostentatious brothers or to not part when faced with a sea of dissent, and by compromise end it? To part: to succeed. Forever more: and by succeed to say we win.

Yeah it looks good...but how does it smell?

Member of The Big Guns BBQ Team Semper Fumantem

"you're eating tree RAT, tree RAT, you're eating RAT!" -- landarc
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2009, 10:53 AM   #4
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

That may be overthinking it. I'm guessing trees have enough uniformity to have uniformity in the temps they burn at or length of time they burn. There are way too many other variables like the amount of air available to feed the fire, exhaust, size/shape of the pieces of fuel and their overall arrangement in the fire itself, etc, etc.

It is not hard to jsut get a small fire going and work up to the temps you want, and then for each cooker figure out the refueling windows and such. Probably a lot less time consuming than figuring it all out from a book anyway.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2009, 10:55 AM   #5
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

There is one book that is a methodical approach and is available at Amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/Smoking-Smokeh.../dp/159800302X

first found a while back with a few diagrams...
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...hlight=science

Own it myself... goes in depth on many levels.

If you like the principles behind the science of a firebox... this is a keeper.

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2009, 11:42 AM   #6
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

A book is only a guide. Every style of cooker is different. Practice, Practice, Practice. Once youve rubbed more butts than Hugh Hefner, You'll be a master.

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2009, 12:28 PM   #7
gandcwatson
Found some matches.

I agree with winemaster every cooker is different, my cooker take a whole bag of coal at one time and if I wood to it well it will hold 4 or 5 pieces of wood 18" long at a time after it lit 2 logs a hour to maintain 275 to 300 for the day or night.
gandcwatson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2009, 07:42 PM   #8
grossepellets
Full Fledged Farker

First found a while back with a few diagrams
Thanks again to the genius of BBQ brethren
I may have a uds and a BGE but I live in the city for now without access to my smokers so I figured I'd read and study up. I followed the links in BBQ Bandits commentary and yeah pretty awesome stuff. That should keep me busy drooling over the possibilities of wood.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:25 PM   #9
jestridge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Sometime everything goes perfect, but most of time NOT. Yesterday was one of those days.
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, smoker