The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Unread 09-28-2009, 04:25 PM   #31
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmista View Post
Exactly! Hey are you still going to bed able to help Phyllis setup on Saturday.
Sorry, no, I have a wedding Saturday (my miscommunication).

https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/stor...nufacturer=314

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous

"Walk with Us"
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2009, 05:10 PM   #32
Bigmista

I thought this was just the consultation.

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD.

God loves BBQ!

Bigmista Custom Spicewine Trailer - Olivia J. PIMA
Large and Medium Spicewines
Weber Ranch Kettle - E.T.

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2009, 05:16 PM   #33
big brother smoke

Nope consulatation is Sunday; Wedding is Saturday hence the miscommunication.

https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/stor...nufacturer=314

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous

"Walk with Us"
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2009, 10:15 PM   #34
Marsha
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmista View Post
Ok so the day basically sucked. We barely broke even.

There were 110,000 people there and none of them knew where to find us. We weren't visible at all from where the races were and the one small gate with one small 'concessions' sign was blocked by two catering trucks so most people never even went past that point.

The only reason we even broke even is because I went out into the crowd to get people and bring them back. (If anyone has seen me hustle at a People's Choice event, you know what I mean.)

All of the vendors were really pissed, because there was no flow to the area where we were setup. Awful.

That being said, it was the most money we ever made in 6 hours. But an $1800 entry fee and $1000 worth of meat cuts right into that. Not to mention paying the help.
Ugh, I feel your pain! We've had those weekends when our staff had better take home pay than we have. But, those weekends do not happen as often any more. Would more signage, and place it higher above your booth, help at all? Steve built a framework that holds a large banner above the top of our booth so people can see it over the heads of the people in the crowd.

Our son-in-law figured out the numbers for us and events that charge that much for a space are almost never a money make if it is only for one day. In those cases the first day is when you (hopefully) cover your costs like space rent, supplies, staffing, etc. The second day is when you make your profit. We only do a few one day events any more for that reason. Those one day events we will do are for organizers we already know who are wonderful to work with and bend over backwards to make our lives easier.