עָטִין
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Unread 09-11-2009, 07:41 PM   #1
big range bbq
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default 5 year plan

I am by no means savvy when it comes to business stuff, we started doing small catering jobs then vending and larger catering jobs now I'm doing it full time. I don't plan on taking out a loan or applying for anything like a loan. I am getting a lot of heat from people to do a 5 year plan. How will this help me.
big range bbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2009, 10:07 PM   #2
ipls3355
is one Smokin' Farker

It would be a plan to stay profitable, grow your business without taking out any loans.

Crankin out Q on my ECB since 2005
UDS born September, 2007
22" Weber Kettle
18" Weber Kettle
ipls3355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2009, 10:19 PM   #3
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

What are you doing full time?
Who's asking for a 5 year plan?
I have a 5 day plan and i've been running almost 4 months now.
If it's working for you, go with it.

Who knows what anything will be like in 5 years?
Northern midwest director for OBR
www.operationbbqrelief.com
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2009, 10:29 PM   #4
big range bbq
Knows what a fatty is.

I am doing catering/vending full time, and not going to bad i guess. People we know who have taken some business classes and now they know everything there is to know about business. And It got me thinking crap do I need one.
Right now we are on your 5 day plan and been going about 6 months + now. With the way things are these days i think the 5 day plan is thinking pretty far ahead lol. Just want to make sure I'm progressing out of the backyard and into as much business as i can you know.
big range bbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2009, 11:55 PM   #5
C Rocke
is One Chatty Farker

If somebody is putting the "heat" to you about a 5 year plan, and they have nothing to do with the business?

Everyone's plan is different - 5 day, 5 week, hell 5 minutes. If you are successful and building on it, keep doing what you're doing and learn from your mistakes. I know for a fact you guys are doing well - Don't sweat it!
Twitter - @ranchoagogo @ranchotogobbq
www.ranchotogobbq.com
C Rocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2009, 09:23 AM   #6
jgh1204
Babbling Farker

For a small business, I would say a two year plan is sufficient. According to the Mayan's, the world is ending in 2012 anyway.
Unread 09-18-2009, 09:58 AM   #7
musicmanryann
is One Chatty Farker

Typically a business plan is only necessary when you are looking for investment, either equity or debt. Personally, however, a five year plan can help you focus your direction and vision for how you would like your business to grow. If your business currently has a lot of positive momentum and is growing a plan can help you to determine the best way to grow to maximize potential gains from the growth. You can also easily share a plan with other people to get them on board helping you with your plan.

Financially speaking there is nothing wrong with a loan if you can use it to make more money--it's called leverage. You can read about it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leverag...ncial_leverage

Of course you take on greater risk to the firm by taking on debt, but the risk is mitigated by having a clear plan to return the debt invested in to greater profits to the firm. This is why banks require plans during the loan application process.

Hope this helps! It sounds like you have something good going.
CBJ #50801
6 WSM's
2 Weber Kettles
FEC100
2 Backwoods Fatboy
2 Not-so-Ugly Drum Smokers from Gateway BBQ Store
Jambo -- The Orange Monster
www.bigtzbbq.com
Join our facebook group
musicmanryann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2009, 05:35 PM   #8
Learnin Querve
Full Fledged Farker

If you're doing it full time and making money, here's something to consider putting in your 5 whatever plan....

An accountant.

A good one can save you more than you pay them, and make tax time a lot easier.

Chris
Learnin Querve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2009, 07:57 AM   #9
jgh1204
Babbling Farker

Another important task is to have a cash flow plan. You can be profitable but lack of cash can kill your business. With a high inventory turnover business like a restaurant, it is not as big of a concern, but you should take a look at it.
Unread 09-21-2009, 09:42 AM   #10
Spydermike72
Babbling Farker

As Musicmanryann pointed out a 5 year plan (also known as a long range plan) keeps you focused on your long range goals. A good business has a Short range and Long Range plan (Short = 2-3 years Long=5 years). The plan is more of an excercsie to let you plan out your business and allows you to focus on growth. If you have no loans to worry about then a 5 day plan may work for you as you do not have any long term financial commitment, however if you ever do need to make a big ticket purchase and are looking for a loan, every bank will ask for a Business Plan and part of that plan is a 5 year plan.
Backwoods Competitor
Backwoods Party
Ranch Kettle,Weber Performerl
Certified Moink Baller
President of the Great Lakes BBQ Association

For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know
Spydermike72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2009, 10:20 AM   #11
Skip
is One Chatty Farker

If you are maxed out now and can't grow any bigger without capital or increasing the workforce and thats how you like it then don't worry about a 5 year plan. If you have expectations that go far beyond where you are and expect to increase your workforce to meet that then a five year plan to give yourself a schedule to follow would be helpful. It will also help if you find yourself needing quick capital. A working five year plan shows creditors/investors that you are dedicated and have a clear plan. Bonus if they find the goals attainable in the plan.

Swamp Pit BBQ's freeloader

To part or not to part: that is the question. Whether ‘tis nobler in the mind to part and suffer the slings and arrows of ostentatious brothers or to not part when faced with a sea of dissent, and by compromise end it? To part: to succeed. Forever more: and by succeed to say we win.

Yeah it looks good...but how does it smell?

Member of The Big Guns BBQ Team Semper Fumantem

"you're eating tree RAT, tree RAT, you're eating RAT!" -- landarc
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2009, 11:57 AM   #12
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

A five year plan imo opinion is as good as the paper it is written on. If I want to know where I'll be in five years, I'll know in 1825 days!!!

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote