Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.


Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2009, 04:49 PM   #16
firecracker jack
is one Smokin' Farker
Join Date: 06-27-09
Location: belleville,mich.

Originally Posted by Ford View Post
A personal chef goes onsite and does the prep in the persons house. That makes it legal. You can bring your own smoker. If however you want tp do prep under an ezup and use their kitchen that is also legal. But you can't prep in an unlicensed trailer or your own home. That's always illegal.

I may have an STFU for sale soon. If you're interested email me.

Hey Ford, thanks for the shout. But now I'm confused, for one person from the health dept. told me that Mich. does'nt have a personal chef thing going on. And the second one I talked to wasn't clear about whether or not such a thing existed in Mich. but she did say that it would be entirely different than cooking for a large group. If I can't find accurate info from the health dept. where can I find It?

I'm still laid off Ford, so money's a real issue right now. But I figured that while I didn't have the money to invest, I could at least sort out some of the legal and buisness aspects of getting started. Was planning on getting that thouroughly investigated over these upcoming winter months, and hopefully have a part time start on things next spring.

I thought you just went through the hastles of getting your stfu permit, and now your selling? And you can sell them? Or were you refering to your equitment or something?

firecracker jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 06:22 AM   #17
is Blowin Smoke!
Ford's Avatar
Join Date: 04-14-07
Location: Lakeland Florida

I'd like a bigger trailer if I can work it out. If you sel it then the new owner needs to renew the permit. It's less expensive than doing a full site plan. Do you have my phone number? If not email me and I'll send it and you can call some time to talk.

The HD isn't interested in the personal chef as they are not licensed. But they will tell you it's illegal if you do any cooking at home or don't use the clients facilities. Vending of coruse is a very different story as it's all regulated.
Retired competition cook. BBQ mentor.
Ford is offline   Reply With Quote

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Saturday, does anything look familiar smkncajun Q-talk 14 11-03-2010 04:43 PM
Block parties & backyard cooking permits? BBQCookin Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. 7 01-25-2009 09:05 PM
Michigan State / Michigan Tailgate CROSSCZEK Q-talk 16 10-29-2008 02:23 PM

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Forum Custom Search: Enter your Search text below. GOOGLE will search ONLY the BBQ Brethren Forum.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:48 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.
no new posts