The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Unread 08-19-2009, 03:05 AM   #1
nicerackbbqteam
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default What should i charge just for grilling?

Iv been asked to cook for 75 people for a company picnic but all they want is the meat to be cooked on site and i don't even have to serve it...just prep and grill.. i was wondering what should i charge for just my time and labor
they want 3 meats
tri tips
boneless chicken thighs
hot links
and hot dogs for the kids
and they are supplying the meat
Unread 08-19-2009, 04:31 AM   #2
Bootleg
Found some matches.

$50 to $100 per hour of your time.
Bootleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2009, 06:30 AM   #3
BIGBADWOLF
Found some matches.

I agree with bootleg. Charge whatever your time is worth to you. Mine is no less than $75 an hr.
BIGBADWOLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2009, 07:15 AM   #4
tony76248
is One Chatty Farker

I agree, Figure out what your time is worth, that said, charge for the whole day not just the time you are there. I charge per day, but I will stick around and make it worth the customer's time.

There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to the mashed potatoes.

Brinkmann Model 6668 Gasser
Hibachi Grill
Stumps GF223 w/ Stoker assist
ECB that wins the $
Weber One-Touch Gold 22-1/2"
#3 Komono
Large BGE w/ Stoker assist
55 gallon Drum Smoker
Wood Crate Cold smoker w/ smoke injector
No need for certification, I already know good BBQ!
tony76248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2009, 11:26 PM   #5
Chuckwagonbbqco
Take a breath!

I see problems bigger than a payment.

Are you purchasing the meat and getting reimbursed? or are you showing up to cook whatever they happened to buy? If they buy inferior product what will it do to your reputation? Are you going to show up and have them hand you tri tips that are frozen as hard as a bowling ball? I am not trying to be a smart ass----but I have had all of these things happen.

When people in line get a 1/10 pound chicken weiner---they do not care who supplied the meat----they look at the name on the BBQ pit. If the condiment table does not have what they want----they look at the name on the BBQ pit. If you cook boneless skinless thighs to perfection, and hand them to someone to put in a chafing tray to try to keep for several hours---the people look at the name on the BBQ pit.

Protect your reputation---ask questions. What meat is being supplied---ask specifics. Are you supplying spices and sauces? Are you trimming the tri tips?

Figure out what your time is worth. You have prep time---moving BBQ pit time--cleaning out BBQ pit time etc. Do not cheat yourself.

Are there any sides? Who is doing the sides?---if there is a problem with the sides they will be reading the name on the side of your BBQ pit.
Chuckwagonbbqco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2009, 10:21 AM   #6
nicerackbbqteam

"Are you supplying spices and sauces? Are you trimming the tri tips?

Are there any sides? Who is doing the sides?---if there is a problem with the sides they will be reading the name on the side of your BBQ pit."

Yes i am, i am preping the meat thats to be cooked.... as far as the sides its going to be a pot luck style with the CO workers.... i am just doing the meat and they are going to give me the cash to go pick up the meat and seasoned it and bring it to be cooked on the Park site
Unread 08-20-2009, 10:36 AM   #7
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

A company function?
Just take your daily wage & volunteer to do the cooking.
Less problems that way.
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2009, 10:37 AM   #8
Chuckwagonbbqco
Take a breath!

Good---that way you have control over the meat quality, and if the people supplying the sides are also the people that are eating them, then they will know where they came from.

Just remember that catering and vending food is a form of gambling that is allowed in all 50 states---keep the odds in your favor.
Chuckwagonbbqco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2009, 11:02 AM   #9
nicerackbbqteam

"Just take your daily wage & volunteer to do the cooking.
Less problems that way.
"

I would do that but right now theses small catering jobs here and there on the weekends is my job....
Unread 08-20-2009, 06:17 PM   #10
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

[quote=Chuckwagonbbqco;1002939]Good---that way you have control over the meat quality, and if the people supplying the sides are also the people that are eating them, then they will know where they came from.

Just remember that catering and vending food is a form of gambling that is allowed in all 50 states---keep the odds in your favor.[/quote]

I likes this statement

https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/stor...nufacturer=314