The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Unread 08-18-2009, 09:11 PM   #16
ejmiller
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

That is tough. I had the same problem with my former computer business. Set the rules and stick to them. I was very reluctant to do that at first but I finally did and was surprised that they seemed to be fine with it. It seemed like many more were trying to give me business than were trying to take advantage.
ejmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2009, 09:14 PM   #17
Jeff Hughes
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB View Post
How's about your print up your menu and prices and then add a listing of the service charge for smoking and preparing when a 'customer' provides their own meat. (hey - it can happen)

That way, when a friend, family or neighbor says they need/want you to do something you can hand them the menu of services and ask them which service on the menu they prefer and who will be paying the deposit and final bill? Get out a contract form and start filling it out.

In sales I think that's called the 'assumed close.'

It will either produce a check, cash or money order or leave you to your weekends and free time to do as you wish.
This is a nice thought, but no professional caterer can cook product provided by others. You just don't know if the meat has been stored properly prior to being turned over. Even if the customer signs a waiver, it's still the caterers reputation on the line.

If you are going to do a cost plus deal, buy the meat yourself with deposit money or use your own cash and get reimbursed.
22" Weber Kettle(10 bucks@garage sale)
Jeff Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2009, 11:30 PM   #18
Chuckwagonbbqco
Take a breath!

You can quote me: "I have enough experience, but I don't have enough money"
Chuckwagonbbqco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2009, 11:57 PM   #19
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I used to run into this all the time, I just tell people that I cannot work for free. That I work for a living and that if I just give away my services all the time, I will not be able to take care of myself. Folks that care about you will understand, folks that are using you will not be happy with you. As for the wife, seems like you need to sit down and talk about her expectations for your income and business success.

Whip It Off, Chambers!

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2009, 09:02 AM   #20
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Undertaker Slaw Hee Hee Hee

What a classic Love the Name.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNRES...B51071&index=2

Great Video.
Unread 08-20-2009, 09:17 AM   #21
Ashmont
Babbling Farker

I ran into this several years ago at our community pool. We have several pits there an I use to bring the kids to the pool and let them swim while I grilled or smoked something. When people would see that I was cooking they call home or go to the store and get something. At first it was kinda fun and didn't mind. But as it got bigger kids that were not mine would come up asking for hotdogs ect. Thats when I put a donation jar out. Works out great and make a few dollars. For the people that wouldnt want to donate I would point to another pit. I had one guy call me at home and asked me if I was cooking at the pool and what time I was gonna be there... Geesh!

Proud member of Brethren Weber's for life

(Rescued 7 kettles in 2007, 1 in 2008, 2 in 2009 and 1 in 2010 Three of which I have and 8 that have gone to Brethren. PM me to get on the waiting list)

Weber Kettle Dabomb
Weber Kettle Justintime
Weber Kettle (Yet to be named by Daughter) Evil Twin Suggested!
Weber Kettle Grace
WSM "Winni"
WSM "Dumas"
One Smokey Joe
UDS "Peggy Sue"
http://ashsmoderndayclubhouse.blogspot.com/
Ashmont is offline   Reply With Quote