THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

B

BIGBrandon2785

My turkey I have says it's "Pre Basted".Does this affect how much salt I put in my brine??

I also would like too add,You folks have been MORE than helpful with my Thanksgiving questions and I just want to say Thank You For all the help.

Excellent question. A "Pre-Basted" turkey is also known as a "Self Basting" turkey. It means it's been injected with some type of liquid. The amount of salt in the injection may or may not be enough to effect anything. It's hard to tell.

Personally, I probably wouldn't brine the turkey unless I knew exactly what was injected in the turkey.

Excellent question. A "Pre-Basted" turkey is also known as a "Self Basting" turkey. It means it's been injected with some type of liquid. The amount of salt in the injection may or may not be enough to effect anything. It's hard to tell.

Personally, I probably wouldn't brine the turkey unless I knew exactly what was injected in the turkey.

IThe wrapper on the turkey says,"Approximatley 8% basting solution injected for tenderness and juicyness"
"Turkey Broth,Salt,Sodium Phrosate,Sugar,Seasoning"

It has been brined from the inside out, do not brine it more, it will be a waste. It will not take in more salt, it just won't make any positive difference.

It has been brined from the inside out, do not brine it more, it will be a waste. It will not take in more salt, it just won't make any positive difference.
Pre Brined Turkey???Cool sounds good too me.Saves me a lot of trouble

There is some discussion here and here about brining enhanced birds.

The consensus seems to be that it is OK to brine but to reduce the salt by half. I haven't cooked an enhanced bird for years, so I can't speak from experience, however.

Pre Brined Turkey???Cool sounds good too me.Saves me a lot of trouble
Personally, I would always prefer to brine my own bird, as I can then add flavors that I prefer and not just salt. I am not really a huge fan of brining, as I discovered that injecting works great and allows me to use oil and clarified butter than will not penetrate with a simple soaking brine.

There is some discussion here and here about brining enhanced birds.

The consensus seems to be that it is OK to brine but to reduce the salt by half. I haven't cooked an enhanced bird for years, so I can't speak from experience, however.

What he said - cut the salt. The prebrine may help for moisture (plus it's near pure profit for the manufacturer as it adds weight), but a brine at home can add in a nice touch of subtle flavors.

Back