THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

wlh3

is Blowin Smoke!
Thinking of gettin a temp gauge with a wire probe. I don't want to run it under the lid because I use the lid clamp to keep it tight.
What have some of you UDS guys done? The only Picture I have found so far was by Third Eye but could not tell where his probe entered the drum.:sad: Any help would be great. Thanks:icon_bigsmil:icon_bigsmil

Those eylets are just rivnuts. You can get them at a hardware store. Real cheap. They have aluminum and steel. Get aluminum, easy to compress. I personally use a 3/8" compression fitting. I just make a hole screw it in and stick probe in. I use a split piece of silicone instead of compression ferrul to seal whem nut is tight.

Rivnut.jpg

Thinking of gettin a temp gauge with a wire probe. I don't want to run it under the lid because I use the lid clamp to keep it tight.
What have some of you UDS guys done? The only Picture I have found so far was by Third Eye but could not tell where his probe entered the drum.:sad: Any help would be great. Thanks:icon_bigsmil:icon_bigsmil

It was probably this picture. Since I do 80% of my cooks using just the top grate, I drilled a hole halfway between the upper and lower grates. It's easy to rotate the probe and snake it up and through the top grate. I don't stick meat until later in the cook, because of the turning. Exception would be a turkey breast, tri-tip or prime rib with their small window of perfect doneness. My little shelf will hold two of the Polder style therms. I do like to have one monitoring pit temp and use a potato for a probe keeper.

46badd3e.jpg

DSC02863a.jpg

DSC03076a.jpg

Here's my remote mod. On another one, I ran it verticle and put more holes so I could rum above each grate. Used engine gasket under the metal strips. Works great! Hope this helps.

Attachments

• UDS Remote Thermo Mod 1.JPG
    UDS Remote Thermo Mod 1.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 161
  • UDS Remote Thermo Mod 2.JPG
    UDS Remote Thermo Mod 2.JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 159
This is by buddy's therm mod. Mine is about an inch longer with two access holes each above each grate. This also works good. Came up with this after ruining a perfectly good remote wire going under the lid. Cheap mod compared to replacing remotes.

Attachments

• Bobs UDS Therm Mod.jpg
    Bobs UDS Therm Mod.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
I just drilled small holes, at grate level and insert thermometers, and use potato or wood chunk to hold probe, take out when needed elsewhere, holes are small, does not effect temps.

Thanks every body, the info is good. The part about small holes having no effect on the temp is good news:icon_bigsmil:icon_bigsmil

small hole drilled in side about 1/4 inch higher than cooking grate. probe and wire from my Mav. fit no problem.:cool::idea:

I use drilled through stainless Swagelok bulkhead compression fittings. Take out the stainless steel guts and put in teflon. Reuse it over and over.

They come in any size you need.

I use drilled through stainless Swagelok bulkhead compression fittings. Take out the stainless steel guts and put in teflon. Reuse it over and over.

They come in any size you need.
That is what I was talking about when I said compression fitting. Most people would not know what a Swedgelok fitting is.

Finaly decided on the probe insertion. Used a male pipe hex bushing 1/2 in X1/4 in. A 1/2 in pipe cap, and 1/2 in conduit nut. about $5.00 at HD.
Drilled out 1/4 in hole in pipe cap, then filled cap halfway with Hi temp silicone, let it set up. stuck probe through silicone. Thanks to all who submitted ideas to me, it helped alot. Smoke on!!:cool::lol:

Attachments

• 100_0369.jpg
    100_0369.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 80
  • 100_0372.jpg
    100_0372.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 80
  • 100_0375.jpg
    100_0375.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 80
Back