THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ace27705

Knows what a fatty is.
I saw a post and some videos of the snake method for cooking slow on kettle grills and it looks very impressive.Has anyone used this method and been able to get a temp to 275 ? if so how ? Add another pile of coals to the ring ? more wood ?

I saw a post and some videos of the snake method for cooking slow on kettle grills and it looks very impressive.Has anyone used this method and been able to get a temp to 275 ? if so how ? Add another pile of coals to the ring ? more wood ?

Sorry for the delinquent double entendre, but... deeper and wider.

You can also achieve this by messing with your intake valves. In order to gain the same amount of cook time you would need to add another row of briqs.

I've burned good & constant at everything from 190 ~ 350, depending on intake vents & type & pack of coals...........at 350, even with a pretty heavy pack you won't probably run all nite...........

I prefer to just set up a decent stack of 2 or 3 & one on top, some wood, medium open on the intakes, full open exhaust & let the machine do the work it knows how to do.......really don't like to force my kettles...........260 +/- a bit is common.............

My 26.75 OGT likes to run in the 275*-300* range with a snake of 3 bricks, then 2, then 1 (Stubbs) with some hickory chunks thrown in for smoke. Bottom vent almost closed, top vent wide open. If I go to a 4-3-2-1 snake I can easily get 350*-375* and just open the botom vent a little for poultry.

I usually just toss in about 1/2 bag of Stubbs about 2/3 around the kettle and piled up almost to grate level, I can get 8+ hours at 300° easily-

EasterPP2.jpg

After you have done this a couple times, and get the feel of your cooker, you'll find what works for you best. I have been setting my snake up in my 22.5 kettle with 4 briq's, 2 wide and 2 deep. I start with all vents open wide, as my temp gets to about 250, I shut the bottom vent to a little less than half, and then make adjustments accordingly depending on wind and weather. I like to cook pork roasts and beef roasts and ribs in the 250-275 range, and this set-up works great for me, I maintain those temps without issue for several hours. I can generally get 7-10 hrs of consistent temps, again depending on conditions.

Have fun with it and make notes as you go, it all works out with practice.

KC

fuse_in_kettle.jpg

This is very similar to my set up, works great, I usually just make mine longer than this.

Last edited:
When I use the ROF i just let it rip WFO and take what it gives me totally low drag cookin temps are 275 -350 hotter just means less time until I can stuff myself with awesome smoked goodness.

Back