THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wayne

is Blowin Smoke!
Has anybody ever smoked eggs and if so how did you do it and what were the results. I saw a thread on a BBQ newsgroup that talked about it and it made me curious. Some of the people said they did it with the shell on and some with the shell off. Most boiled them and some mixed them with some kind of meat. Anyway, what does everybody think. What came first the BBQ'd chicken or the BBQ'd egg?

Eggs

Hey Wayne you're talkin about one of my favourites. The method I use is to smoke peeled hardboiled eggs for about an hour, cherry is nice for flavour. I rub one egg out of a dozen with a salt free beef rub ... like Jim Goode's .... then make deviled eggs only chop up the whole rubbed egg into the filling. Add a little more rub, mayo, chopped scallions, hell, they ain't no rules for eggs.
You gonna love those!

I did it for the first time this past Christmas when I smoked the turkey.

Did it the same way as NorthernQ said except I used my Q rub. Came out good.

This sounds like something I need to try. At what temps do you try to maintain when smoking the eggs?

eggs

Neil said:
This sounds like something I need to try. At what temps do you try to maintain when smoking the eggs?

Neil, I don't think it matters much what temp, its the smoke flavour. I've done them with cheese at 90º and with loins at 275 although I like lower temps better. Sometimes I think higher temps can toughen them.

Hard boil, peel, then smoke for an hour or so at 220

<note: not my picture. copy from another forum>

Picture002.jpg

<taken from another forum as well> Smoke them peeled for an hour at moderate pit temp <225, then pickle the eggs for 2-3 weeks before eating. Haven't done it myself, but the reviews are very good.

Edited to correct-Eggs should be smoked without shells. TCDA, sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eggs and sausage. First pic is the start. Second pic is after less than an hour. Got a sirloin tip on for later too.

Attachments

• Eggs and sausage start.JPG
    Eggs and sausage start.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 124
  • Eggs,sausage and sirloin tip after one hour.JPG
    Eggs,sausage and sirloin tip after one hour.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 123
Kevin said:
Just sent the OL to town for more eggs. Gonna smoke then pickle a couple dozen. That should bring a tear to someone's eye.

Keep us posted on the Aroma Effect.

Keep us posted on the Aroma Effect.

Here is a quote from an egg thread at another forum......

Tust me, after some smoked garlic, pickled eggs and good beer, it don't matter what direction the winds going. There is no safe location to stand...lol

Got lazy and never made the deviled eggs from the smoked eggs but I just saw this thread again and took one out of the fridge and ate it with salt and pepper. Very good flavor. A kind of tough skin formed from the smoke. Maybe a lower temp next time.

Back