THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

caseydog

somebody shut me the fark up.
I was going to do a smoked cheese grilled cheese sammy for the cheese throwdown, but due to the number of nice looking grilled cheese sandwiches already entered, not to mention a farking killer looking queasadilla, I decided that a change in strategy was in order.

So, I took parts one and two of my original plan, and altered part three, going for a simple English cheese course -- something that I have enjoyed several times in my past visits to Great Britain. It is one of England's few contributions to good eating. :becky:

Stage one, the hardware. I "borrowed" a cold smoker design from a brethren, which involved buying a cheap soldering iron at Home Depot and drilling a hole in a tin can.

picture.php

I filled the DIY smoke machine with pecan chips, and put it in my WSM on a rather cold day, and added hunks of Cheddar, Gouda and Swiss cheeses, which smoked for 90 minutes.

picture.php

I let it mellow in the fridge for 24 hours in zip lock bags. My whole fridge and freezer still smell like smoke, even with the cheese in plastic bags. I'm sure my ice is going to taste like smoke, too. :tsk:

I served my cheese with a glass of my favorite Vintage porto.

picture.php

It was all very good. My favorite was the Gouda, closely followed by the Swiss. The Cheddar was very good, too, but not as good as the other two.

From the smell when I took them out of the smoker, I was really worried that they were over-smoked. But, after a day in the fridge, the smoke flavor was actually just right.

Now, if you will excuse me, I feel an urge to read some Dickens.

CD

Great post CD, very entertaining!
The French will no doubt put a contract out on you if you keep crediting the English with fromage pleasures.:-D

Not exactly the same thing. The French serve it before dessert, with bread and wines -- or as desert. The Brits serve it after desert, traditionally in a parlor away from the dinner table, with digestifs, such as Portos.

I prefer the British way, since you can sit back in a comfortable chair and enjoy your after dinner drink and cheese.

CD

I know CD, I was just joking about the French attitude that without them the English would have no cheese is all.
Just a joke.
BTW French tourists here are delighted to discover we Aussies often do a cheese platter with pickles and antipasto and digestifs long before dinner.
I think it is because a small percentage of us need an excuse to get stuck in to the wine early.
:noidea:

I know CD, I was just joking about the French attitude that without them the English would have no cheese is all.
Just a joke.
BTW French tourists here are delighted to discover we Aussies often do a cheese platter with pickles and antipasto and digestifs long before dinner.
I think it is because a small percentage of us need an excuse to get stuck in to the wine early.
:noidea:

If it is before dinner, it is an aperitif, not a digestif.

Farkin' Aussie. :tsk:

CD :becky:

Back