THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

B

BlueIdTxan

Ok gents I have seen smoker receipes for pig:biggrin: , beef:biggrin: , salmon:-D but none for Catfish:sad: . Anyone have any ideas/recipes. I am gettin ready for when I get home an get the Bandera with mods up an runnin. Ill be out trying for some big blue catfish an smoked catfish sounds like a real good idea.

thanks

Blue

Place pot on top of firebox, and heat oil to 350 degrees. Put breaded catfish in oil and cook until the catfish starts to float. Serve with plenty of beer...

In all seriousness, I have had catfish prepared many ways, but I think I prefer catfish fried. I would imagine that you could smoke like you would salmon, but with a much milder flavor. I would try using one of those fish baskets sold at HD for grilling, and smoke with salt, pepper, sliced tomatoes, onions, and butter. Catfish, being a mild fish, will take on pretty much any flavor you cook with, so I would try it a couple of ways to figure out whats best. By the way, where are you getting your catfish?

BlueIdTxan said:
Ok gents I have seen smoker receipes for pig:biggrin: , beef:biggrin: , salmon:-D but none for Catfish:sad: . Anyone have any ideas/recipes. I am gettin ready for when I get home an get the Bandera with mods up an runnin. Ill be out trying for some big blue catfish an smoked catfish sounds like a real good idea.

thanks

Blue

Geez, ................. smoked catfish? Never woul`da thunk it? Let us know what you come up with?

Deep fried as 'nmayeux' suggested with heavily spicy seasoned flour and corn meal, then a good heaping of Crawfish Etouee over it, all over rice and a side of saute`d green and yella squash.

I smoke Catfish all the time. Lay them in an aluminum pan, coat them with Olive Oil, sprinkled on Cajun Seasoning, pour in a little beer and smoke for 3 hours at 225. There should be pics on my web site at www.kickassbbq.com
My theory is that if it walks, crawls or swims and you can catch it and kill it, you can smoke it.
My slogan used to be "If You Can Choke It, I Can Smoke It". My wife didn't want me to use that on a business card, though. She is no fun sometimes!!!!
PARTY!!!!!

Ingrediants Required

-1/2c non iodized salt
-1/2c sugar
-1 quart water
4-6 very thick catfish fillets. I used the dorsal fillets. They need to be uniform in thickness.
-wood chips of your choice. Fruit wood works best but hickory and oak are okay too.

Detailed Cooking Instructions

Dissolve the first two ingredients in the water and soak the fillets in it for at least 24 hours.

Pull the fillets out, pat dry, and set out to "dry" for 1 hour at room temp. A thin glaze will form over them.

Smoke fillets for 3 hours or so. Remove from smoke, let fillets come to room temp (15 min), then refrigerate.

I vacuum packed my fillets and refrigerated them.

I make a stuffing out seasoned bread crumbs, chopped shrimps and crabmeat, parsley and lemon(pulp)... then add some cajun seasoning. Rub inside the fish with the cajun seasoning and then pack it good with the stuffing. Coat the outrside with the cajun seasoning and smoke it at at 300 till done.

This can also be done with fillets. scoop the stuffing on top, roll them up and tie them with butchers twine... cook'em till flaky.

Well as to where I am getting the kitty fish there are several resivoirs aroung my house with in a few hours drive. Lake Dallas Cedar Creek, Lakes Livingston and Conroe. But Mostly Lake dallas ( 45 min).
I like filleting the cats cause its faster and easier to me than guttin an skinnin em. And ty for the responses. I may try and see how smoking them in nuggets goes. easier to get good uniformity that way ( works in the deep frier) Thanks for the input an ill let ya know how everything turns out :)

Blue

BlueIdTxan said:
Well as to where I am getting the kitty fish there are several resivoirs aroung my house with in a few hours drive. Lake Dallas Cedar Creek, Lakes Livingston and Conroe. But Mostly Lake dallas ( 45 min).
I like filleting the cats cause its faster and easier to me than guttin an skinnin em. And ty for the responses. I may try and see how smoking them in nuggets goes. easier to get good uniformity that way ( works in the deep frier) Thanks for the input an ill let ya know how everything turns out :)

Blue

You're overlooking Lake Lavon. Just East of Plano, and North of Lake Ray Hubbard. I catch more keeper cats this time of year than I can fillet.
Try lookin here:
www.lakelavonfishing.com
www.txfishing.com

Ty

brdbbq said:
From the Bank ?
Nope, from boat, under the water water turkeys. Stink bait under a cork, moving tree to tree. Catch about 3-5 per tree. Last year, I limit out in about 1-3 hours. A little harder this year with the bank being down. If you have some weekdays off let me know, and we'll go.

I bow fished carp on the North saide my friend smoked and ate his I buried mine along with the rice....imagine that. :roll:

Thillin, I got the ride and the time Ill be off from Dec 21 - at least 15 feb and weeks days would work great for me. Looks like we both have same fishing techniques. and we can talk smoking fish whilst catching em.

PS bring carhearts LOL

brdbbq said:
I bow fished carp on the North saide my friend smoked and ate his I buried mine along with the rice....imagine that. :roll:

You just fertilized the rice patty you planted. See the vicious cycle you started. (only if we actually got rain in TX):roll:

brdbbq said:
What's rain ?

Remember, in the Bible it said it rained for 40 days and 40 nights? Texas got about 2 inches!

BOT : You can smoke Crappie as well with those recipes. I might go chase them Friday if I can get away.

Ty

thillin said:
Remember, in the Bible it said it rained for 40 days and 40 nights? Texas got about 2 inches!

Does not apply to the Southeast or Gulf coast of our fine state. I think we got 80 days worth of rain in those 40 days.

Elkhound said:
Does not apply to the Southeast or Gulf coast of our fine state. I think we got 80 days worth of rain in those 40 days.

As dry as racer is you all need it.

brdbbq said:
As dry as racer is you all need it.

We're better than a foot low on rain this year.

Probably make it all up in one day.

Back