THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

M

MileHighSmoker

I was shocked to go onto the Recipe section and not find a single recipe for a good Cole Slaw. After fixating for the last several days about bbq-beans I realized I was committed to bringing some Cole Slaw to a function this weekend and turned to this site for help. So seeing as how there is no recipes posted I am calling out to all Brethren for help and suggestions.

Anyone have an award winning slaw recipe they want to share?

Thanks in advance!

Horseradish Coleslaw

8-cups (16-oz) cabbage, shredded
1/4-cup carrots, shredded

3-Tbs yellow onion, minced
6-Tbs milk
6-Tbs yogurt
3/4-cup mayonnaise
1/4-cup bottled lemon juice
2-tsp cream style horseradish
2-Tbs white vinegar
1/2-cup granulated sugar
1/2-tsp salt
1/4-tsp ground black pepper

Place shredded cabbage and shredded carrots in a large bowl. Combine remaining ingredients in a small bowl, mix well and stir into cabbage and carrots.

Place in fridge and chill at least 2-hours before serving.

My wife has been doing this one for years and I never tire of it. She was gracious enough to share with you:

Rhana's Creamy Coleslaw

In a small bowl stir together 1/2 C mayo, 1 T cider vinegar, 1 t sugar,
1/2 t celery seed, 1/4 t salt and 1/8 ground black pepper.
In a large bowl combine 3 C shredded green cabbage, 1 C shredded red cabbage, 1 C shredded carrots, 1/4 C sliced green onion.
Pour mayo mixture over cabbage mixture and toss to coat. Cover, and chill for at least 4 hrs.
C=cup T=tablespoon t=teaspoon:lol:

She even typed it for me...otherwise I would have been here a while!:lol:

Enjoy!

JD

Last edited:
I've found that coleslaw is a very tricky subject around BBQ folks. Considering the fact that slaw is not one of the most popular side dishes in general, BBQ slaw preference usually depends on where you grew up. In carolinas, they like a tangy slaw. Elsewhere over the rainbow, a creamy slaw is preferable. Down here in Texas, potato salad is more popular than slaw, but we generally like a mix of tangy and creamy with a hint of spice.

I used to hate slaw, because all I ever knew was that slop they serve at Long John Silvers.

To put a fine point on it, the best slaw is the one you like.

Slaw is very tricky. It doesn't much matter how you make it, some will love it and some won't.
You can't please all on something that is made differently from place to place.
Just go with the basic ingredients, adjust to taste.

I thought it would be discussed as much as To Sauce or Not to Sauce

I can see the general disagreement about the type of slaw but that was why I thought it would be a heated and heavily discussed area of contention on par with to sauce or not to sauce. Myself I am a fan of mustard potato salad however if I think of bbq I think a natural fit is beans and slaw. When it comes to my slaw I am an easy on the sauce guy, but the horseradish mentioned in this post sounds right up my alley. I was also thinking maybe some julienned jicama, finocchio, or radicchio but maybe that is just me watching too many foodnetwork shows.

Here's my $.02 on coleslaw. This is a basic recipe I use that gets rave reviews. Tweak as you like.
Head of cabbage about 1 1/2 lb
1/4 C Cider vinegar
1 T granulated sugar
1 t celery seed
1 t kosher salt
1/2 t black pepper
3/4 cup mayo
1 T Dijon mustard (Grey Poupon is best)

Core and thinly slice the cabbage.
Mix all other ingredients together
Mix cabbage and dressing, tossing to coat evenly. Refrigerate for at least an hour.

Coleslaw is too easy
2-bags Shredded Cabbage
1 Bottle Jimmies Coleslaw Dressing

Some Sides are not worth the time when there are ones that ROCK already!

Cheers Dan

Coleslaw is too easy
2-bags Shredded Cabbage
1 Bottle Jimmies Coleslaw Dressing

Some Sides are not worth the time when there are ones that ROCK already!

Cheers Dan

I use the Jimmies Pineapple Coleslaw Dressing. Sounds strange, but it is good.

I once saw on Food Network a company that made over 40 recipes of slaw because of different regional tastes. Slaw is tricky!

This is the simple mix I use..

1 bag shredded cabbage
1 1/2 cups Miracle Whip (not mayo)
1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
Salt to taste
Freshly ground pepper to taste

I buy the shredded stuff, and Marie's coleslaw dressing, then spike it with cider vinegar. Gives sort of a a best of both worlds creamy/tangy effect. I also like to toast some mustard seeds in a dry pan and toss them in.

sounds like slaw is something best kept simple in most opinions

Our slaw has been well received, but like stated above, every family has a preference what they've been brought up on. My wife almost always makes it,the way my grandma taught her, by taste.

Start with Miracle Whip. Add white vinegar to desired consistency. Add white sugar to taste. Sprinkle in celery seed, a little goes a long way, gets strong taste real quick. Add dressing to cabbage mix. Slaw will get creamier the longer it sits. Reserve some cabbage mix to add later if it gets too soupy. We stay away from cabbage mix with purple cabbage in it because it can bleed into dressing and discolor it.

Just broke out the ole food processor which should make quick work of whipping me up a batch of slaw tomorrow. Did that and just tapped a keg for a get together tonight.

Here's the mixture I have used for years as a cook in various resturants
Cabbage
Miracle Whip (No Mayo)
Sugar
Salt
Pepper
Dill Pickle Juice
I don't have exact measurements but I'd say about 1 to 1 1/2 cups of Miracle Whip 1/2 cup sugar Salt and Pepper to taste and Maybe a 1/4 cup of Pickle juice.
Hope this helps

Back