THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

scottm4300

Full Fledged Farker
Here's another question that I'd liek to get the latest and greatest opinion on - do you use water or sand in your water pan?

I've used exclusively water to this point, on the premise that it added moisture to the process which was good for the meat. But I read a post recently on another site that disputes that - and contends that water or sand mearely act as heat sinks to assist in temperature control.

What's the prevailing wisdom amongst the Brethren.

Thanks!

Scott

It's a heat sink.

Either work.

Especially with sand, just cover the pan with a couple layers of foil. Easy cleanup.

Even with water - cover the edges of the pan with foil - again, pretty easy cleanup. Or cover the inside of the bowl with foil and then add the water - when finished, dump the water and remove the foil.

Now, let the battle begin! :D

My water pan is rusted out. Im in the hunt for a teracota bowl that will fit. Im thinking one of those low rider plant water holder thingies. Im not sure what they are called. But you know what I mean. They usually have a hole in the bottom. The pot sits in it.

Anyway, I'm planning on doing sand most of the time but I'm an experimentor. I'll try anything once. The coffee ground experience sounds like the cat's arse. Maybe even some garlic water. Ooohhh yeeah.

Brauma said:
My water pan is rusted out. Im in the hunt for a teracota bowl that will fit. Im thinking one of those low rider plant water holder thingies. Im not sure what they are called. But you know what I mean. They usually have a hole in the bottom. The pot sits in it.

Anyway, I'm planning on doing sand most of the time but I'm an experimentor. I'll try anything once. The coffee ground experience sounds like the cat's arse. Maybe even some garlic water. Ooohhh yeeah.

Does not compute!

Rusted out?

Nope, impossible with a Bandera pan

Order a Brinkman CharcoalPan. $13 delivered. Dont scrub. no rust

Brauma said:
I realize that this might not be what you want, but Bass Pro has the replacement pans that fit the Bandera. They are made by Brinkmann, but they work well, and are only a few bucks.
Noah

I use sand and get very good results, and it's sooo easy to clean.

i use water.....harder to clean i suppose, but can be quickly filled or replaced.

Well, in the Bandera, I use sand exclusively because the water crud is just too hard to clean.

I see no difference in the final product attributable to the sand versus water.

In the WSM, I use water - or did. This past Sunday's cook, despite my attempts at securely lining the pan with HD foil, resulted in a baked on foil/crud mixture that is positively repulsive.

So, I'm gonna convert the WSM water pan to sand.

Disclaimer: Note that I am of the engineering/science type and therefore am inherently lazy, hence the extreme displeasure at having to clean a water pan.

How much trouble do y'all go thru to "clean" a waterpan? For me "cleaning" the waterpan consists of dumping the water, while letting the congealed fat stay in the pan, which after dumping the water goes in the trash with the ashes. After emptying a quick rinse with hotwater to get rid of the last of the fat does it. Back in the cooker until next time.

MrSmoker said:
Do you change the sand everytime you cook?

Not just a few times it will get hard as my nevermind, it will get hard over a period of time. Used samnd in the GAS smoker back to water in the WSM. Unlike Racer the old enginner I'm just a old technician so lazy mod has not kicked in all the way yet. Besides I moved enough times that I have a house with a sink in the garage, it's handy.

Well, how the fark does the farking quote thing farkin work?! I just spent 15 minutes (that I'll never get back) of my freakin life trying to quote wilkat98 and I'm sure its as easy as pie. I just couldnt make it go. (I hate these farking computers at times). That was 15 minutes that I could have spent pulling ticks off my choc lab. Which translates to: Anything is better than wasting time in front of a computer.

Anyway, my water pan has a hole in it sure enough. (see my thread in Q-talk titled "Fire Box vent mod" for pics of my rusted up unit)

Can you shoot me link to where I can buy the Brinkman pan? Although, I'm kinda liking my idea to install a teracotta bowl.

Now, let the battle begin!

I wondered if I opened the debate again........that's why I referred to the search function.......
Can you shoot me link to where I can buy the Brinkman pan? Although, I'm kinda liking my idea to install a teracotta bowl.

I think if you have a Lowes or HomeDepot close that you can get a replacement waterpan from them........
but if not..........
http://www.brinkmann.net/Shop/Detai...ooking+Replacement+Parts&sku=114-0004-0&id=68

kcquer said:
How much trouble do y'all go thru to "clean" a waterpan? For me "cleaning" the waterpan consists of dumping the water, while letting the congealed fat stay in the pan, which after dumping the water goes in the trash with the ashes. After emptying a quick rinse with hotwater to get rid of the last of the fat does it. Back in the cooker until next time.

Exactly, these steps = EASY, I just dump the old water, rinse out the pan, line with more foil.

Mr. Kick, thanks for the link. I'll check with my local Lowes and HD, but I dont think that Ive ever seen such a apparatus as a Bandera in any of them. So I doubt that they will carry parts - but it never hurts to ask. When my neighbor gave me this unit it was the first time I had ever laid eyes on one. I could see past all the rust and knew that was on to something here and I had to have it and resurect it.

Heat sink, smeat shink.

I'm sick of this discussion.

Sand.
Desert.
Dry.
Arid.

Water.
Ocean.
Wet.
Moisture.

You do the math, the choice is obvious.

Don't need to be Mister Wizard to see that water is the key.

Anyone who says different, must use vaccuum dust in their spray bottle. Why spray if you don't want moisture?

I just don't get the sand logic. Fill the farking pan with cement. Thats a heat sink too.

Back