THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BBQ Bandit

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Bob
Mods; have posted here for possible cooker care options... if there is a better area... feel free to have your way with it.:doh:

Tackling the rusted firebox... found a slow-acting rust remover which might answer my quest; Evapo-rust

Sounds like a useful option. Have already worked on the top of firebox. Please note... it is a intended to be a soak... have used old cotton saturated t-shirts to keep the metals moist during the dissolving process. The instructions did mention it may take anywhere between 1/2 hour for light rust to a 24 hour soak for heavy rust. Did take a wire wheel to it after 12 hours in this example for the more persnickety areas.

Before
picture.php

After
picture.php

From its website: Evapo-rust rust remover

EVAPO-RUST is an amazing award winning rust REMOVER which is utilized by the U.S. Army, U.S. Navy, U.S. Air Force, FBI, NATO, Government Contractors, Engine Builders, Auto Enthusiasts, Gunsmiths, Forensic Labs, OEM’s, Farmers, Antique Restorers and more.

EVAPO-RUST is non-corrosive to steel and does not harm brass, copper, aluminum, gold, lead, titanium, steel, cast iron, chrome, solder points, vinyl, plastic, rubber, silicone, glass, cork, or wood. EVAPO-RUST has an indefinite shelf life* and can be used over and over until it absolutely stops working. On average, one gallon de-rusts up to 300 pounds of light to moderately rusted steel.

Not an eye irritant, No VOC's, No Acids, Not a skin irritant, No HAP's, No Caustics, Non-Toxic dermally or orally, Non-Corrosive, No Solvents, Non-Hazardous, Non-Flammable, Biodegradable

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good....I have a few projects around here that may get that treatment!:becky:

Looks great! Thanks for the tip. One of my spring projects is to remove the rust off my firebox and repaint the whole smoker.

A quick tip for keeping it from evapping. Once your brush or spray it on, drape some plastic material over it, like garbage bags. The plastic sticks to the liquid and won't let it evap as fast. Pretty much like when cleaning grates. Toss em in a garbage bag, soak em with oven cleaner, Simple Green, etc and close the bag. Leave em to soak and the cleaner will remove all the gunk.

Sweet looking pit too!

Bob

Firebox rust project Pt. 2

Halfway there... from this:

picture.php

to this...
picture.php

The process is taking longer than expected... being that the Evapo-rust chemical is temperature sensitive... the highs have been in the 40's* all week... the directions suggested better acting at 60* and above.

Its slower than a butt! :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Thats looking really good. I bought some for a project too and havent gotten anywhere near the results yet.

Back