THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sledneck

Full Fledged Farker
Dear Brothers and Sisters,

After every contest, we usually have a lot of meat leftover. We all know that after a long weekend of hard work, that this extra meat is either given away, or wasted. For the contest in Sayville, I figured out an alternative to this. I have contacted Island Harvest, a local not-for-profit organization that contributes to the needy.
They said that they would come to Sayville to pick up the extra meat and distribute it to those in need.
Please visit their website at www.islandharvest.org for more information about them.
In addition, I will have a box set up to collect can goods and such for this organization at my spot all weekend. Please tell your family and friends to please bring a non-perishable item. With the holidays approaching, I figured this was a great opportunity to make a small contribution in true
Brethren fashion.
All teams interested in donating any extra competition food, please let me know.
Thank you for your help!!
Steve

Sled,

That is a great idea. Thank you for looking into this. With Thanksgiving right around the corner I'm sure that the food will be greatly appreciated.

It's stuff like this that makes me proud to be a member of the Brethren.

Eric

Lets not hope they wait to Thanksgiving to give them the BBQ, Sled, besides the leftovers, I will cook an pork butt also..

Sled,

That is a great idea. Thank you for looking into this. With Thanksgiving right around the corner I'm sure that the food will be greatly appreciated.

It's stuff like this that makes me proud to be a member of the Brethren.

Eric

That's awesome Sled....

I don't care what people say, you really do have a heart !! :biggrin:

Next up... LI Brethren do a Thanksgiving or Christmas cook for charity...

That's awesome Sled....

I don't care what people say, you really do have a heart !! :biggrin:

Next up... LI Brethren do a Thanksgiving or Christmas cook for charity...
Thanks Vinnie, i like doing goodwill and showing "the face of the brethren"
I am all for doing a holiday cook and i can definitely arrange it. Lets just get through that weekend first.

DOVER COMPETITORS: Let me know if you have leftover food as well.I will cooler it give it to Island Harvest as well.

Excellent thread Sled......

Back in 2001, a non-sanctioned KCBS contest west of my location did something similar.

They had a little contest of 45 teams. Each team did an extra porkbutt. Seems that this particular contest, required each team to donate a porkbutt. It was for charity.

The organizer had the health depts. blessing, took the 45 extra pork butts and shredded and blended all the meat. Donated monster burger bunns, and pops and chips. They made the biggest pulled pork sandwich ive ever seen.
Thow in a little bag of chips a can of soda or pop for $3 bucks.

All proceeds went to the food pantry. I couldnt even eat half of the sandwich, nor could my friends who were with me.
Thats a lot of cash injected into the food pantry fund.

Seems nowdays, health dept. inspectors or their guidlines wont allow that type of contributions. Its really sad in a way IMHO!

Lets not hope they wait to Thanksgiving to give them the BBQ, Sled, besides the leftovers, I will cook an pork butt also..

When discussing Thanksgiving, I was referring to:

' In addition, I will have a box set up to collect can goods and such for this organization at my spot all weekend.'

Was the idea of the 50/50 raffle for Island Harvest or for Breast Cancer Help?

Eric

When discussing Thanksgiving, I was referring to:

' In addition, I will have a box set up to collect can goods and such for this organization at my spot all weekend.'

Was the idea of the 50/50 raffle for Island Harvest or for Breast Cancer Help?

Eric
I would think breast cancer

I would agree that Breast Cancer Help, Inc, would be the most logical. Have you looked into the legality of running a raffle?

Let me know if I can help.

FYI, the charity itself will have a booth and will be selling raffle tickets for g/c to different restaurants, signed cookbooks, etc.

Eric

It's probably a bit late for this event, but maybe we could put together something like a "Buck-a-Bone" People's Choice event, except that the fair-goers "pay" for their ribs by giving the participating teams a canned goods item for each sample. Each team could keep on-site a box for the cans, which would be collected at the end of the event. Winning team gets a trophy; food pantry gets the canned goods. Might be better to make the "price" any sort of non-perishable food, as all cans might be too heavy for some people to carry. We'd need to find out how the Suffolk Co. Health Dept would feel about it. Although, they didn't give us a lot of grief at the Patchogue Chili Cook-off. Perhaps Brandon could fill us in on what he had to go through to get serving samples to the public OK'd.

It's probably a bit late for this event, but maybe we could put together something like a "Buck-a-Bone" People's Choice event, except that the fair-goers "pay" for their ribs by giving the participating teams a canned goods item for each sample. Each team could keep on-site a box for the cans, which would be collected at the end of the event. Winning team gets a trophy; food pantry gets the canned goods. Might be better to make the "price" any sort of non-perishable food, as all cans might be too heavy for some people to carry. We'd need to find out how the Suffolk Co. Health Dept would feel about it. Although, they didn't give us a lot of grief at the Patchogue Chili Cook-off. Perhaps Brandon could fill us in on what he had to go through to get serving samples to the public OK'd.
Good luck :rolleyes:

25+ brethren teams at this contest and so far only anchmormen and my team donating ??figured this was a no brainer

I'm moving so I have a bunch of can goods that there's really no point in taking with me, will just sit in the new cabinets. I'll bring them, plus whatever meat I have leftover after friends and family have been fed.

Dude it is
Didn't realize you needed an itemized list...
Was just gonna load up the trailer with stuff...
nancee

25+ brethren teams at this contest and so far only anchmormen and my team donating ??figured this was a no brainer

Dude it is
Didn't realize you needed an itemized list...
Was just gonna load up the trailer with stuff...
nancee
Itemizd list? I am dont know what you are talking about there,,,i would just like a count on which teams are donatig their leftover meat so i can be a organized as to who to collect from after the contest

Back