THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

leanza

Babbling Farker
Huli Huli Cornish chickens about to go on the rotiss. These have basically an asian marinade, soy sauce, murin, sake, ginger, garlic. Marinaded over night. Would an almond or oak wood go with these or should I not use a wood smoke at all.

Attachments

• chickens 001.jpg
    chickens 001.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 194
I just did a roasted asian chicken breast (bone in, skin on) tonight and I wondered the same thing. I ended up going straight lump. Grilled skin side down for 5 min at 350f. Then roasted it indirect until they hit 160f internal.

With chicken being such a smoke sponge anyway and not really knowing a wood that would add to the asian ginger spice paste I was using, I just figured it was better with just lump. I wasn't disappointed.

Can't wait to hear how yours come out!

I'd say go with the Almond for smoke.

I was going to do marinated thighs on the rotiss this afternoon but we had thunder showers and didn't feel like dodging raindrops with electricity.

So I fired up the Egg and used some Almond and Orange chips (those woods are very hard!) along with the thighs and DP's Tsunami Spin under the skin and Shakin' the Tree on top.

Ok a little almond. I present Huli Huli Cornish Hens atop Risotto de Parmesano.

Attachments

• huli huli 004.jpg
    huli huli 004.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 163
  • huli huli 009.jpg
    huli huli 009.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 162
  • huli huli 011.jpg
    huli huli 011.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 162
  • done huli 001.jpg
    done huli 001.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 161
  • done huli 002.jpg
    done huli 002.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 162
I'd say go with the Almond for smoke.

I was going to do marinated thighs on the rotiss this afternoon but we had thunder showers and didn't feel like dodging raindrops with electricity.

So I fired up the Egg and used some Almond and Orange chips (those woods are very hard!) along with the thighs and DP's Tsunami Spin under the skin and Shakin' the Tree on top.

Where's the pics?

Your meal looks absolutely DEE-LISH-US!

For futures, a classic wood for Huli-Huli is Kiawe, pretty much mesquite, over open coals - here's a pix of my favorite Huli-Huli weekend vendor up in Haliewa Town:

HuliChckOnGrill.JPG

Nice little birds there! Was that bottled Huli-Huli sauce or a special blend?

That was a home made blend. It's a recipe Bearbonz sent me years back on another fourm. I describe it in the #1post on this thread. I jacked it up a little with more honey, sake and murin and some scallions. You can also reserve a little of the marinade simmer, mix in some corn starch, reduce and drizzle of the finished product.

Back