THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BBQ Grail

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Larry
I couldn't pass up the $199.00 WSM on Amazon with free shipping. It should arrive mid week and of course I'm going to want to use it as soon as I can find some SPAM to season it with. (Bigdog/Ron_L mod)

I've searched here and the VWB site and there are lots of mods listed. What are the two most important mods I should do immediately to my new WSM?

The "Piedmont Pan" looks interesting. I recently saw one used right out of the box and it worked pretty darn good.

What do you think about the minion method on the WSM?

The Minion Method is the first and best practice for a wsm.

There is nothing you need to do to the unit itself. I use foiled play sand in the stock water pan. I have tried lots of different methods and like sand the best.

Make sure the door is fitting pretty good. That is the single worst complaint that I have about wsm's.

Wireless thermometers will make your life much easier but I am sure you already know that.

On edit: Guru eylets or some other way to get a probe in thru one of the grate bracket screw holes will be most helpful.

Last edited:
I use the peidmont pan with water. But is is good to go for a first cook right out of the box. I also suggest using the minion method for long cooks. check out the virtual bullet site for instructional pages with photos. I love my WSM.

On edit. Most important mods. Guru eyelets, is number 1 and number 2 is at least get the ECB charcoal pan which is deeper than the standard WSM water pan and substitute it for the water pan. holds alot more liquid. I actually used the ECB pans with my peidmont set up.

I use the peidmont pan with water. But is is good to go for a first cook right out of the box. I also suggest using the minion method for long cooks. check out the virtual bullet site for instructional pages with photos. I love my WSM.

On edit. Most important mods. Guru eyelets, is number 1 and number 2 is at least get the ECB charcoal pan which is deeper than the standard WSM water pan and substitute it for the water pan. holds alot more liquid. I actually used the ECB pans with my peidmont set up.

I will "unretire" the charcoal pan from my "retired" ECB...

You don't really need to make any mods to a WSM but I would recommend that you order a package of Sensor Grommets from Rock's Barbeque. These install in place of a screw and will give you a no drilling option for inserting a temperature probe into the cooker at both the upper and lower grate levels. (Rock's Barbeque is also the place to purchase a Stoker if you're interested in a temperature control device.)

I've also installed handles on 4 of my 6 WSMs but it really isn't necessary, and although some of the side table mods are interesting, I find that a folding Personal Table from Lifetime Tables (can be found at Sam's and Costco) to be much more versatile.

I'm going to want to use it as soon as I can find some SPAM to season it with. (Bigdog/Ron_L mod)

Hmmm... Did you hear that, 'Dog? Larry needs some Spam :twisted:

Congrats on the WSM! You'll love it.

The only mods I have done on my WSMs is to install the BBQ Guru Eyelets for the NuTemp probe wires and using the Brinkman charcoal pan instead of the stock pan. I wan to add handles o the mid section, but just haven't done it yet. AA thermomeer in the lid is also a nice mod.

As far as the Piedmont pan, the biggest advantage to it or using a clay saucer is the clean up. Water works fine but when you are done you have some very greasy water to dispose of. If you do use the water pan as it is make sure that you line it with HD foil. That helps with clean up significantly!

To me, the Minion method is the only way to go. Fill the charcoal ring, leaving a dent in the middle, and then toos on 10 - 15 lit briquettes or lump, put it togther and watch the temps as they climb. It is much easier to manage the temps on the way up than it is to get them back down if you over shoot.

Here's the Spam Candy thread to get you started right.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37055&highlight=SPAM+candy

I love my WSM. No mods here, used it right out of the box. The only thing I've done recently is to install the door "upside down". It seems to make a better fit.

I foil my water pan and use water. I let it boil down to almost nothing and then the cleanup is a snap.

I love mine too. I just finished a pulled pork on it.
Don’t be worried if it runs hot on you 1st cook.
That’s due to it being all shiny and new on the inside.
A little coating of smoke on the inside walls will take care of that.
Good luck.

talk to me about the clay pot???

A lot of folks use it instead of the water pan. I use it for chicken and ribs but prefer the water pan for brisket and butts. Temps come up quicker and seem to fluctuate less...clean up is a breeze. It's all about personal preference. :p

Clay pot instead of water pan? Correct.

You should nest the clay pot base in the water pan to protect it from the fire. I foil each separately and nest them. Others put them together and foil the whole thing. I use the 14" which fits perfectly. A 12" works also and will sit lower in the water pan.

I use stock pan with sand foiled, empty pan foiled, and no pan, minion method will all...
I drilled and put a thermometer in the lid, and the side.
Garage door handles will fit where the screws that hold the brackets inside for easier lifting.
What Nonthink said...it will run hot the first couple times.

Congrats and enjoy!

I'll vouch for the TruTemp thermometer and Guru eyelets. They're the only 2 mods to all 3 of our WSM's. The only other thing I like to do is to have a cheap grate that I can put on top of the charcoal grate, turned 90 degrees. That way when I'm using lump (which is all the time - briquettes make way too much ash over a long cook) the smaller bits don't fall though. You can also cut out a round piece of expanded steel mesh to do the same thing.

As far as the water pan, I double wrap mine in wide foil and I have rarely had to add water on even the the longest cooks. Makes for super easy cleanup too. I lay the foil over the pan, press the center down into the pan gently (if you tear it, you should start over), then wrap it around the outside to the bottom. Turn 90 degrees and repeat with the second layer.

Good luck, I think you're gonna love that WSM.

You should nest the clay pot base in the water pan to protect it from the fire. I foil each separately and nest them. Others put them together and foil the whole thing. I use the 14" which fits perfectly. A 12" works also and will sit lower in the water pan.

Exactly, I use the 14".

I'm really surprised at how many WSM's I see at comps that have no thermometers.

I worried myself silly over all the mods for the bullet, I've never used water in any of mine-dry from day one! Claypot was fine but I like my "lava rocks in the waterpan-foiled over with a pizza stone mod"! I'm lazy and don't like the hassle of the cleanup, I just lay a piece of HD foil as a drip pan and toss when done cooking.

For a long cook I just fill the ring and hit the briqs with the weed torch. Jim Minion said he did it this way and it works for me too. You gotta be ready to roll with this method, throw on some wood chunks, catch the temps on the way up-add meat and adjust vents as needed.

Universal garage door handles to the center section bolt right on are a nice addition.

I also use 2 charcoal grates in a # cross pattern for lump use, and wire the ring to the grates for easy ash disposal.

I saw a mod I'd not heard of before recently, a person had added an extension that lowered the waterpan,(in this case a Brinkman charcoal pan) their reasoning was it held more water and deflected more heat, keeping the temps lower. WTF do I know?

Got time for my $.02?
The first mods to all 4 of my WSMs were thermos in the dome (originally Tel-Tru, but switched out to Spicewines) and a charcoal grate for and 18.5" kettle turned 90 degrees and bolted to the stock grate.
I did create one set of peidmont pans, and I really like it, but I can't find a really good deal on the Brinkman charcoal pans anymore.
I also have put 4 handles on each of the WSMs.
All of mine were bought used, so I did take the legs and brackets off and re-mounted them making sure I had lock washers on. Keeps the heat/cool cycle from loosening stuff up.
I use only the Minion Method when I light mine.
When I do chicken I cook without a pan at all, Peidmont pan on butts or briskets. The Brinkman pan on its own holds 2 gallons of water compared to 1 in the stock pan.
You.Will.Love the WSM.

Back