THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

THoey1963

somebody shut me the fark up.
Name or Nickame
Terry
Ok, what did I do differently?

1. No water pan / clay pot.
  2. Lit more coals to start with using the flame thrower.
  3. Painted pieces with Mayo and then seasoned.
  4. When IT was good, used flame thrower to crisp the skin a little.
Without the pan, pit temps got up above 400* and then settled around 380*. The skin turned out a nice golden brown and bite through, not black and rubbery like when I used the water pan.

Finally happy. Now, I need to master something else. :mrgreen:

Attachments

• chicken 1.jpg
    chicken 1.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 192
  • chicken 3.jpg
    chicken 3.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 192
  • chicken 4.jpg
    chicken 4.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 211
Nice looking chicken. Do you think the Mayo helped any? I have been read about using Mayo but have never tried. I too was having the same problem with my chicken on the WSM and once I removed the water pan completely my chicken cooks improved as well. Thanks for sharing.

YAY! Glad you conquered cooking chicken on the WSM. I have used mayonnaise on my chicken in the weber OTS but always with a water pan. While the skin hasn't been rubbery, it never really crisps up like I like it. I would guess though that the combo of high heat and the oil from the melting mayo would contribute nicely to crispier skin. No need to humidify the environment with the water pan since the mayo also adds moisture as it melts. Great discovery! Now what are you going to master?

Thanks y'all...

Nice looking chicken. Do you think the Mayo helped any? I have been read about using Mayo but have never tried. I too was having the same problem with my chicken on the WSM and once I removed the water pan completely my chicken cooks improved as well. Thanks for sharing.

I can't confirm or deny the Mayo did anything. Maybe next time I'll do it all the same except for the Mayo.

Looks great, I also cook my chicken in WSM without diffuser/pan. Never tried mayo.

Cooked these yesterday on the Mini WSM at about 325-350F for Jeff -- his favorite are the legs :

24y4llc.jpg

Looks great, I also cook my chicken in WSM without diffuser/pan. Never tried mayo.

Cooked these yesterday on the Mini WSM at about 325-350F for Jeff -- his favorite are the legs :

24y4llc.jpg
Wow You got nice legs Geekess I'm a leg man too:wave:

f
Hmmm....:decision:

These were just Jamaican jerk rubbed thighs but with the fire sear they had to be some of the best i've ever had...hands down. I just smoked to maybe 170-175 ish and dumped them in the coals (after i blew off the ash) This was using competition briquettes, normally it's lump but the competition didn't produce a bunch of ash.

I know it's dark in the video but it was a really good fire.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hqd_BeKnNc"]P1020228 - YouTube[/ame]

That's so cool! I think I've seek Alton Brown do something like that with real thin steaks and beef but whooda thunk - chicken. Brilliant!!!

Back