THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

royfraz

I have a new WSM waiting on me when I get home from out of town and seriously want to fire it up this weekend. I have seen folks talk about the butcher injection, but don't have time to order it and have it get here in time, and I really want to do a 4hr. brisket out of curiousity. Are any of the Injections you can get at a academy worth a darn just to try, or does anybody have a easy recipe to make my own. Should I buy one of those gigantic syrenges that you use for a turkey so you don't constantly get stuff clogging it.

Thanks,
Roy

I've never seen an injection available at Academy. If you are set on injecting, I'd go with a no sodium beef broth and add some of the rub you intend to use as long as it doesn't have too much sodium in it. Simmer that for a while so that the flavors blend. If your rub has a lot of stuff that could clog a needle I'd strain using cheesecloth.

Let us know how everything works out, no matter what you do.

Edit: Be careful pumping that thing up. Cooking hot and fast, you can blow it up(almost literally) if you inject too much into it. Ask Phil about my brisket at a contest where we later found out that we were cooking a little hotter than we thought:laugh:

i have used butchers brisket and pork marinades and they work great. i will be using them this weekend in a comp.

At home I make a "tea" out of beef broth, onion powder, garlic powder and whatever rub and I going to use on the out side. I heat the broth and seasonings to just below boiling and then let it all steep for a few minutes and then cool and strain out the bits.

sounds good do you usually use a big gigantic turkey needle or just some smaller ones and shoot it quite a few more times. How much seasoning do you mix in with the beef broth

I use one of the boxes of broth (32 oz) and add about a tablespoon of onion powder and a teaspoon of garlic powder and 2 tablespoons of rub. That is more than enough for two 12 - 15 lb briskets.

I use a product called Better Than Bouillon. Think It's national. A very thick paste that you thin with water. Works great for almost anything. Lasts in the fridge forever.

I do not like a turkey baster for injecting, go to a kitchen store and invest in a good one. Injecting is good!

Back