THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

C-Town Smoker

Full Fledged Farker
I just got off the phone with Terry Welch (editor-in-chief), he told me that they have suspended their magazine indefinitely...there WILL NOT be any more issues to come...at least in the near future.

He will be sending out a letter to every subscriber telling them...also stated in the letter will be their commitment of refunding the entire purchase price within a 30 day period.

That is all for now...

From the mean streets of Cleveland, OH...this is your faithful bbq/grilling reporter Greg Rempe, now back to the BBQ Brethren studios!:mrgreen::mrgreen::lol:

How'd you get in contact?... there's a bunch of Brothers here who tried without any response.
Thanx for the heads-up... will not hold my breath tho.

I am inclined to not sight my sources...however, it could also be called "The BBQ World Magazine website"...his number is listed in the contact tab...he picked up on the third ring. :)

Sled, only 1 ever managed to get anywhere...the magazine itself was very nice...but that's all the further it ever got.

LOTS of people bought a year or 2 yr subs...and only got the one issue...and now they won't their $$ back...and rightfully so!

We'll see how the refunds come back...or if they come back.

Just called the issued number from my copy... spoke to a person identifying himself as Terry... paraphrasing points; " publication and mailing costs rising and lost 'projected' revenues/funds from 2010 national advertisers cancellation."

Lack of national advertisers... no magazine... lack of funds.

That's their side of the story.

Nice. I'm sure this is a completely new revelation to Terry and company. :roll: I mean, the second issue was due out right about now, so it makes sense to send the letter now. Why come clean a month or three ago?

John

I'm not surprised, but I'm disappointed. I was one of the people who thought it would be really nice to have a magazine. I'm sure people understand the failure of a plan, but again I wonder if many of the same people will be willing to step up and subscribe to support the next attempt at a mag when it comes down the pike, regardless of who is behind it.

I'm not surprised, but I'm disappointed. I was one of the people who thought it would be really nice to have a magazine. I'm sure people understand the failure of a plan, but again I wonder if many of the same people will be willing to step up and subscribe to support the next attempt at a mag when it comes down the pike, regardless of who is behind it.
I have a feeling that they will:wink:

Sled, only 1 ever managed to get anywhere...the magazine itself was very nice...but that's all the further it ever got.

LOTS of people bought a year or 2 yr subs...and only got the one issue...and now they won't their $$ back...and rightfully so!

We'll see how the refunds come back...or if they come back.

This word was supposed to be WANT!!

Sorry!

One issue! Anyone who has it should vac-pack it and put it at the bottom of the freezer for safe storage - could be a collectors item someday.

One issue! Anyone who has it should vac-pack it and put it at the bottom of the freezer for safe storage - could be a collectors item someday.

Yea.. right next to my childhood baseball cards and comic books.
Wouldn't want to place the glossy pages too close to my chimney starter... oops.

I too got the "the next issue is being printed and goes out in January" story. I also got the "I own a saw mill and I've just been so busy with it that I haven't had time for the magazine" story.

I think it would be nice if they made good on refunds but I've been holding my breath this long and fear I may pass out... :oops:

I was laid off in January from a publishing house that published 6 trade magazines and one consumer magazine. I had been there almost 7 years when 25% of the staff was laid off because ads were severely down - and it's ads, not so much subscriptions that keep magazines going.

Incidentally, two of the magazines I wrote for dealt with the sawmill industry which is struggling in its own way. I also wrote a story for BBQ World and never was paid. I was given the line about "the first issue will be promoted for the rest of 2009 and then a second issue will come out in early 2010." Glad to see that he's finally 'fessed up to the real story.

Back