THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

smoke ninja

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
With the cold temps I've taken the week off. Sure it's fun for the first few days but I end up getting bored fast. Since I'm hanging around the house all day anyway might as well make a brisket. I'm not tending the stick burner in this weather and the wsm needs cleaning. That leaves the kettle which now that I think of it, I've never made a brisket on.

This was a sorry excuse for a brisket but was marked down so I couldn't pass it up. The brisket was flexible at least, that was it's saving grace.

You can see here how thin the flat is. Ideally this end of the flat would be thicker

I find the kettle has fairly even temps as long as I use a heat baffle. These are custom and for sale just let me know if your interested :becky:

Now what you all came for, the hot and slow process. First the hot. 275-300 for 4-6 hours checking after 2 hours and spritzing where needed once or twice an hour.

When the color is right the brisket is wrapped in butcher paper fat cap up and...............

............put it in the oven at 225-250. Yes I know take my pit card, I don't care. This last approximately 2-4 more hrs until just tender. At that point either turn off the oven and let it coast another 2 hrs or lower the temp to 200 or less if needed to hold longer. With option 2 lower temp a little shy of done. The whole time line can be stretched or compressed by riding the edges of temp guidelines. The whole idea is to get it close to temp as fast as possible then finish as slow as possible from that point, hence the name fast & slow.

Works for me

ninja.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a solid plan to me. Doesn't hurt that the brisket comes out looking that good either.

Hey man nice lookin brisket right there. Nice pics also. Where did you buy that anyhow?
Also a thumbs up for you cooking outside today for any period of time. Pretty damn cold around here the last couple days.

Hey man nice lookin brisket right there. Nice pics also. Where did you buy that anyhow?
Also a thumbs up for you cooking outside today for any period of time. Pretty damn cold around here the last couple days.

My grill is one step from my front door, i can see the thin blue from my couch. The worst part was the setup. the ash sweep was stuck frozen and the ashes were stuck in the pan. Some chicken grease must of got in the ash pan and a hot ember started a mini fire in the pan. Good thing i didnt leave it completely unattended. The kettle is my work horse, i should probably clean it more often.

My grill is one step from my front door, i can see the thin blue from my couch. The worst part was the setup. the ash sweep was stuck frozen and the ashes were stuck in the pan. Some chicken grease must of got in the ash pan and a hot ember started a mini fire in the pan. Good thing i didnt leave it completely unattended. The kettle is my work horse, i should probably clean it more often.

Nice lol Yeah man the getting setup part is what would suck. I could run my WSM right now no problem, but I wouldn't enjoy the prep time of it lol

Right down the pipe man.......nice kettling !!!!

Thanks for the offer on those heat baffles, but I've got a bunch that just get cleaned & reused ......

Great looking brisket there Mr. Ninja! Makes us all enter the jealous mod! When you are headed to a sporting event, the most important part of the trip is to get there. Whether you get there in your car, your buddy's car, or worse case scenario, in a cab. The important thing is that you got there in time to enjoy the game.

Quote from smoke ninja. ".put it in the oven at 225-250. Yes I know take my pit card, I don't care. This last approximately 2-4 more hrs until just tender. At that point either turn off the oven and let it coast another 2 hrs or lower the temp to 200 or less if needed to hold longer. With option 2 lower temp a little shy of done. The whole time line can be stretched or compressed by riding the edges of temp guidelines. The whole idea is to get it close to temp as fast as possible then finish as slow as possible from that point, hence the name fast & slow."

No need to turn in your pit card. In fact you should get an extra punch star for the results. Great job!!

Blessings,

Omar

I want to try a brisket but the big ones are hard to find around here (or I'm not looking in the right place). This is pork country around here.

briskie on the kettle huh? guess i better step it up then, ive not done one on the kettle as of yet. you are a brave ninja with exceptional cooking skills, briskie looks wonderful

That's a Walmart brisket. I'd recognize that yellow sticker anywhere. Same price over my way but they don't discount until the day before the sell by date.

Nice cook and you're a brave man in this weather.

Back