THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

River City Smokehouse

is Blowin Smoke!
I have been researching the Kingfisher Cookers. Does anyone have experience with one? I know of one person who just got one and seems to like it so far. I'd like to hear from some seasoned cookers that have been using them for quite a while. I'd like to hear the pros and cons of this brand . ~Thanks

I had the chance to see Dave's (Southern Brethren) Kingfisher rotisserie at Dillard this year, and was very impressed. It is a really nice rig, and it helped produce some vary nice Q. I'm sure Dave will chime in as soon as he wakes up.

I've got the BK trailer rig - smaller 4 shelf rotisserie and the 30x32 grill. Both work off the central firebox and you can direct grill if you have the need.

I've been very pleased with it. I can contrl the heat well and run two different temps in the rotisserie and grill.

It's met every expectation I had when I bought it. The workmanship is good and the rig seems to be holding up well. It is basically a stickburner - I had a charcoal basket made and use is to hold my coal bed together, but after the initial 20# or so of charcoal it's run on oak and pecan.

Chad,

Do you have the double insulated one? I am looking at the Gator also like yours. I was thinking that the grill section was dependant on it's own fuel source instead of the firebox. I was hoping that it would run by itself on charcoal so I could get the temps. up enough to do chicken on it direct. I will be calling the rep and ask more but I want to hear it from the consumer side too. This friend of mine added a thermostat and air blower to his and it seems to be working out for him real well.~Thanks

River City Smokehouse said:
Chad,

Do you have the double insulated one? I am looking at the Gator also like yours. I was thinking that the grill section was dependant on it's own fuel source instead of the firebox. I was hoping that it would run by itself on charcoal so I could get the temps. up enough to do chicken on it direct. I will be calling the rep and ask more but I want to hear it from the consumer side too. This friend of mine added a thermostat and air blower to his and it seems to be working out for him real well.~Thanks

I don't have the double insulation and don't need it here in FL.

The grill can be run with it's own fire - I've done grilled chicken that way.

However, once you get the fire going in the firebox you can control the heat on either side - the "grill" side will go from 170 fully dampered (turned off) for a warmer or open the main damper and chimney and it'll got to 350 or better in a couple of minutes.

I ordered the additional shelves and a couple of rib racks along with the optional propane burner. I've used the shelves and the burner pretty often. The burner is great for preheating the rig while waiting for the charcoal to get going - I also have a propane bruch torch that I use to clean the grates or light off wood in a hurry.

I bought mine from Bob Eichoff in the Kansas City area at www.kck.com. He treated me right - or you can order direct from the factory.

Back