Cornbread (Myron's version)

bimmerdad

Got Wood.
Reaction score
Hi all,

Tonight I wanted some cornbread so I tried the recipe in Myron's new book. Well, when I cut into it, I noticed it was really dense. Also, it was really salty.

Brethren, have any of you tried his recipe? If so, is this how it's suppose to taste? I followed the recipe exactly.

I did some research and I've noticed that most recipes call for baking Powder and/or Baking Soda, Myron's recipe did not. Also, his recipe seems to have at least double the amount of salt then most recipes.

Any help would be great. I'm trying to help out with the cooking around the house so I'm trying different recipes but this one has me stumped.

PS - I didn't post the recipe because I don't know if that's allowed or not.

Thanks

Apparently, your not the only one with this problem. Found this part of a customer review on amazon. Hope it helps:

"Separately, I made his cornbread recipe not once, but twice. Both times it turned out like a rock. My better half confirmed all the ingredients I put in against the recipe. I am convinced the recipe is missing something - namely a leavening agent. If you make this recipe I recommend adding a tsp of baking powder.

Overall he writes great books, but let's be honest, you didn't buy the book for his baking skills :)

Follow-up: I wrote Myron's team at jacksoldsouth.com (via the 'contact us' function) about the cornbread recipe. I was most impressed that they wrote back immediately and admitted the recipe was missing a leavening agent...the recipe needs 1.5 tsp of baking powder and 0.5 tsp of baking soda. They will fix the recipe in future editions. So refreshing to deal with an organization that admits its errors so readily. My kind of people"

Yep, I made it twice too... thinking I did it wrong the first time. So, I had TWO big hockey pucks. Not having made cornbread before, I didn't really know if it was me, or how that was supposed to be.

Duh... Thanks Myron!:mmph:

I saw that recipe and it is nothing like what his restaurant, pride and joy, has. The one at the restaurant is almost like cake with the little peach jam they give you with it. It's out of this world and would love to find THAT recipe not some one they just threw together for a book.

I seem to remember another recipe of his from an early edition of another book which was way too salty, but can't think of exactly what it was. It too was corrected in later editions as I recall.

His beef rub?

Last edited:
Well now that all makes sense... I cooked his cornbread 2-3 times and it always came out like a hockey puck. I finally canned it, and went back to my old recipe.
Thanks for writing to the Jacks Old South team to see, I will will add the BS and BP next time and give it another whirl

I seem to remember another recipe of his from an early addition of another book which was way too salty, but can't think of exactly what it was. It too was corrected in later editions as I recall.

His beef rub?
I'm pretty sure it was the beef rub. That's the only rub I made from his first book and our burgers were so salty I stopped with the beer and went to water because it was soooooo salty. I really haven't tried much from that book since because it was so bad. I know they have corrected it and this mistake is well documented, but like Guerry said, doesn't anyone proof read?

I find it Ironic there are allot of posts about Myrons failed recipes.. You have to ask yourself "Would you buy a used car from this person" ??

Thanks guys for all your help. I'll try his recipe again (with the missing ingredients) and let you know how it turned out.

I have not read Myrons books but from what some people have commented on it is like alot of BBQ books, they give some good pointers and lead you down the path but there is alot left out. Those small secrets is what makes him win and he is not going to give that up.

I like Jiffy in the little blue and white box with some minced onion and jalapeno in it. It's got everything in it already and is quick!:wink:

I find it Ironic there are allot of posts about Myrons failed recipes.. You have to ask yourself "Would you buy a used car from this person" ??

Absolutely.

I would explain, but...Nevermind.

TIM

I like Jiffy in the little blue and white box with some minced onion and jalapeno in it. It's got everything in it already and is quick!:wink:

Now you're talking! Jiffy is so cheap, easy, and good I never had the urge to move on to anything else. And you can "hot-rod" it. I like to add a tablespoon or two of brown sugar.

The kindle edition of his first book has never even fixed. I bought it last year and used his basic BBQ rub - holy hell, it ruined my ribs! Salt like you would not believe! I should email Myron's team asking to be refunded for the two racks of ribs!

Now you're talking! Jiffy is so cheap, easy, and good I never had the urge to move on to anything else. And you can "hot-rod" it. I like to add a tablespoon or two of brown sugar.

If you want to "hot-rod" it skip the sugar and add a couple of diced up jalapenos

Bet you put sauce on your pulled pork too...:p

If you want to "hot-rod" it skip the sugar and add a couple of diced up jalapenos

Hot rodding Jiffy is like prescribing a stool softener and a laxative to treat dysentery...:shock:

Back