hops IN the hog???

deepsouth

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
read this article in brew your own. the hogs were raised on by-products from sierra nevada brewery (grains, hops & yeast) and were given the full on beer treatment prior to cooking... sounds interesting, but i'm not sure how it turned out and the tasting notes are pretty slack compared to the prep notes.

hophog.jpg

The lack of raves about the meat make me suspicious of the results. Feeding the hogs on the solids is probably a pretty good idea..injecting with the wort? Not so sure, but that's just my opinion. I'd have loved to have been there to try it. I can't afford to waste that much hog on an experiment!! :mrgreen:

Bet it was bitter as hell. Feeding the spent grains and all is a good idea and makes for mighty fine tasting meat. Brewers/distillers grains are great products that are easily digestible and make the animals grow out and finish well. The hops in the body cavity and then allowing it to "bitter up" over 6 days I think is over the top. I personally wouldn't have used mesquite wood either. Mesquite, in my opinion is better with beef, chicken or fish and not so much with pork. To me, the mesquite smoke doesn't compliment the natural flavor of the pork and kinda clashes on the palate... But, that is just my opinion.

I guess if the beer was good enough and was available in large enough quantities BEFORE the meat was served it is likely that it wouldn't have made that much difference though. Enough beer in one's system has the ability to make a lot of things LOOK AND TASTE better... LOL

Seems like there's about three individually great ideas there, but to do them all to the same pig is overkill.

I'd love to try a pig that had eaten the hops for three months, and that's it
-or-
The pig being stuffed and smoked with hops.
-or-
Injected with the liquid.

All of them together seems almost gross.

Back