• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Homemade Sauce

Swamp Donkeyz BBQ

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I was thinking about making a sweet and hot BBQ sauce. Any ideas where to start? Is it better to just buy commercial sauce and doctor it yourself?

I have never found an off the shelf sauce that I liked. I have often doctored them up but really prefer my own recipe. I grew up in eastern NC and prefer a vinegar based sauce so that makes it easy for me cause I have my Aunt's tried and true recipe. Good luck, John

The blues hog sauces and head country are amazing.

If you don't have access to those, I recently made the shack sauce and doctored it a little. Turned out great- its especially great for pork.

I've got some Blues Hog and Cowtown. I like the Blues Hog better. I was kicking around the idea of making my own to see if I could make something good without having to buy sauce and add to it. Just not sure where to start. I see recipes on the net all the time, but I would trust someone here more than a random website.

This is a very good sauce for just about everything.

Texas Red Sauce

This is a thin sauce, very
basic and good on all
meats.

1/2 cup cider vinegar
1 cup ketchup
1 cup water
6 Tbl white sugar
2 Tsp salt
2 Tsp chili powder
1tsp back pepper
1tbl New mexico chili powder
1 tbl paprika
2 tsp Cholula hot sauce
2 tbl Worcestershire

In a microwavable bowl or large measuring cup combine vinegar, water, sugar and spices.
Heat on high 1 min stir to dissolve sugar allow to cool 20 min. stir in ketchup and Wostershire and bottle.
Allow to sit at least 4 hrs or overnight.

* use beef stock instead of water and cut the sugar by 2/3 for Brisket.

Go for it my friend. There is no more satisfaction than makeing your own sauce or rub expecially if you compete. Sweet and hot that's the way I do it. Where is the fun in buying a sauce. To answer your question a great place to start is your favorite pepper sauce, ketchup, corn syrup and chili sauce. I could tell you more but then I would have to off you. :laugh:

I like a recipe I make, but find that i can doctor a store sauce cheaper than making mine. Many times I can stock up on sauces on sale for a buck per bottle.

FWIW - At JOS school, Myron recommends people should buy rubs but make their own sauces. Mixon claims that the Average Joe simply cannot buy the quality ingredients for rubs that food service companies use (and even his own rubs were not as good as the ones with his recipe now being sold under his label). Great sauces, however, can be made from store available ingredients, are more easily adjusted to your own personal tastes, and are gemerally better when made fresh. Just sayin.

Personally, I make a KC style BBQ sauce, just adapted for the tastes and ingredients my wife likes best. Happy wife, happy life.

You can't beat homemade BBQ Sauce as it tailored to your individual tastes and likes.

However sometimes there is not enough time to make the sauce, so I am sure we are all guilty of doctoring and mixing some type of commercial sauces to try and meet our individual tastes and likes.

I use an off the shelf sauce and alter it. My family likes it so much, they put it on all types of food.

making my own sauce has become one of the most enjoyable parts of my BBQ experiences! i love tinkering with the spices and consistencies.

i made some stinkers, but i eventually have gotten to where i can't use commercial sauces anymore. i prefer my own 'brand'!

I really want to make my own, but I look forward to trying many of the different sauces available by artisan makers, not bean counters and food chemists (big commercial outfits).

Steven Raichlen’s ---Adjusted

2 cups ketchup
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons molasses
2 tablespoons prepared mustard
1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
1 tablespoon of your favorite barbecue rub
2 oz. liquid smoke—Added more
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon White Pepper-- Added

Combine all the ingredients in a nonreactive saucepan and bring slowly to a boil over medium-high heat until dark and thick 55 minutes. (15 min originally) (I use an electric stir motor to cook this long. Make a Foil tent to reduce the flying sauce)
Transfer the sauce to clean (or even sterile) jars and store in the refrigerator. It will keep for several months.

FWIW - At JOS school, Myron recommends people should buy rubs but make their own sauces. Mixon claims that the Average Joe simply cannot buy the quality ingredients for rubs that food service companies use (and even his own rubs were not as good as the ones with his recipe now being sold under his label). Great sauces, however, can be made from store available ingredients, are more easily adjusted to your own personal tastes, and are gemerally better when made fresh. Just sayin.

Personally, I make a KC style BBQ sauce, just adapted for the tastes and ingredients my wife likes best. Happy wife, happy life.

If you're just using the discount brand spices and herbs from Albertsons then maybe - otherwise I call BS on the rubs. Even fairly small cities have specialty stores like Pendery's in easy driving distance. A decently stocked herb garden - even an indoor - is easy to do and doesn't require much space or equipment. It's just not hard to get spices that are superior to the cheap crap at the grocery. Hell, most people would be better of just using fresh cracked pepper instead of the pre-cracked and packaged stuff.

If you're just using the discount brand spices and herbs from Albertsons then maybe - otherwise I call BS on the rubs. Even fairly small cities have specialty stores like Pendery's in easy driving distance. A decently stocked herb garden - even an indoor - is easy to do and doesn't require much space or equipment. It's just not hard to get spices that are superior to the cheap crap at the grocery. Hell, most people would be better of just using fresh cracked pepper instead of the pre-cracked and packaged stuff.

You don't even need a specialty store anymore. You can go down the hispanic/mexican food aisle of most grocery stores now and buy whole spices on the cheap in those little cellophane bags. They are far superior to the pre-ground stuff which is ridiculously pricey for what you get.

Back