Need a Little Help with UDS

Cliff H.

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I found an abundant supply of drums at the Butterball plant here. They are sealed cooking oil drums. I picked out two nice ones. The question is how to proceed.

I made a cut and attempted to UN-Seal it but that looks like a no go.

Do I cut around the barrel on the outside or do I cut the lid out from the top close to the edge ?

I am not worried about the barrel lid because I plan to use my kettle lid.

I too could not get my lid off, I have Salad oil drums...where I get it from, they have a big can opener, took the top off and left the lip. Check to see if your lid fits around the lip.

If you cut on the outside of the lip you can use a weber kettle lid. Just try your best to cut it as straight as possible, like I didn't do...

I found this to be very true the hard way.

I can see daylight from the area were I miscut when I put the weber lid on.

I found this to be very true the hard way.

I can see daylight from the area were I miscut when I put the weber lid on.

Sorry to hear that! I guess the drums I'm using is a little smaller, cause the Weber lid fits snugly over the lip. Try using what single fin said, or a hi temp silicone?

Cliff:

Here's what I did...

1580416796_a378b009fe.jpg

1580417114_e51a268122.jpg

Next time I'll use my router with this special, UDS lid removal jig:

1580417510_a4c168faf8.jpg

1579525309_1401b329ec.jpg

I just finished cookin 16 butts on 2 UDS...

I had the kettle lids just resting on top of the barrels lip.

no problems :)

I just finished cookin 16 butts on 2 UDS...

I had the kettle lids just resting on top of the barrels lip.

no problems :)

how many grates? 2? i found when i put 3 butts on it was a tight fit and temp control was tougher to keep at 250 or so

I must ad pics of mine. Took the lid off with a nibbler the ground the remainder off. I did notice a sealant of some sort oozing out from between the lid edge and the drum wall as I did so.

I have decided that if the lid is sitting pretty good except for one small area then I am going to live with it. Most folks have more vents in the top of there uds's anyway.

I am sure I will get better at building these things but you gotta start somewhere.:-D

"Do I cut around the barrel on the outside or do I cut the lid out from the top close to the edge ?"

I've done both, it just depends on the barrel diameter. Measure to see. One of mine fits really snug with the lip on (cut from the top with a reciprocating saw). The others had the lip cut off with a cutting wheel on the grinder, and they fit fine. As long as the weber lit fits, do whatever works for you. YOU WILL BE HAPPY WITH THE RESULTING COOKING MACHINE WHICHEVER WAY YOU GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I am going to cut the lid out with a reciprocating saw so I will have a lip.

Be prepared to replace a few blades in the process, its not as easy as it seems. Don't ask how I know!:eek:

At the end of the day I have done this much.

I have to start on the intakes tomorrow. There will be serious mods.

Total investment after going thru all my nuts and bolts and borrowing lid and grate from my kettle:

0 dollars

Priceless

From the pic of the inside does this drum appear to be lined ?

This one had salad oil in it. I was hoping to be smoking ribs on it tomorrow afternoon but if it has to be burned out a couple of times then I may have to wait.

Thanks in advace for advice.

Here is a better pic. There does not appear to be a painted finish inside but there could be some kind of clear coating

Last edited:
Cliff, mine had salad oil in it, and I still burned, don't know if I had to or not, but I built a big fire in it, and burned for an hour or so...did yours look like this? The bottom is water mixed w/ salad oil, and dried...
attachment.php
attachment.php

I poured a gallon of oil out of mine. I have another one with peanut oil in it that feels to have two gallons of oil left in it.

I guess I am going to finish the mods and burn. Maybe I can still get a rib cook in by 1:00. If the drum cooks faster than my wsm I will eat on time.:lol:

Back