• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

A Few Oysters

Outstanding I love those things Wish my gout did but as often as I have them it is worth it Going to New Orleans for a Conf in Oct There is a place famous for it BBQ Oysters Will definitely try to find it

George, go to Acme Oyster House in the French Quarter. On Iberville St. just
off of Bourbon St. (IIRC).

Jeanie, your grilled oysters look fantastic. I've had a dozen of the SS shells for some time now. Very handy.
I always bring back at least 2 gallons every time I make a trip to Biloxi and freeze them in pint containers.
They don't stay in the freezer very long tho.

Those look fantastic! Probably the easiest way to get someone that doesn't like oysters to try them. The best oysters I ever had were from Apalachicola, FL. I bought 3 cases in Birmingham, drove home with them in one of those giant coolers, and we feasted for 3 days.

I love Apalachicola oysters but it seems much of natural oysters at Apalachicola are going away. :sad:
https://www.atlantamagazine.com/southbound-articles/turning-tides-in-apalachicola/

My favorite part of Florida was Cape San Blas. I used to vacation there multiple times a year and loved catching scallops, conchs, mussels, and crabs in the bay. And I would always do a day trip down to Apalachicola from Cape San Blas to eat at the Owl Cafe and Hole in the Wall restaurants. The oysters were so fresh and so good down there that I didn't even need any sauce on the raw oysters. Just plain raw oysters on a half shell with nothing added. My wife and I would eat several dozens at one sitting. But Hurricane Michael destroyed Port St. Joe and Cape San Blas area. We haven't been down to Cape San Blas since the hurricane as we read much of the area is still recovering. I miss my Apalachicola oysters.

I could eat lots and lots of those, Jeanie! Oysters are one of those things that I don't eat often, but whenever I do I ask myself "why don't I eat these more?" They are delicious in all their forms - and one good thing is my seafood-allergic wife is not allergic to oysters (she can also eat clams, scallops & lobster). Thanks to this thread, I'll most likely be putting some in rotation in the next week or 2 - thanks Jeanie! :clap2:

As my Dad once told me, and I've often repeated,"son there are just some country clubs that'll never let you in."

Great work there Jeanie and :thumb: on the presentation. As a kid we lived in Florida for awhile, we used to get oysters out of the bay, none of them ever made it home we just ate them as we found them.

Growing up on the intercoastal waterway in N E Fla we had a lot of access to oysters. Our senior yr in HS we'd go pick a few bushels in the intercoastal creeks and stop by Cumberland Island Ga before it was a National Seashore and shoot a wild hog that roamed the woodlands and marshes (to easy)then regrouped afterwards in the evening and cook oysters over cinder blocks that supported a 1/4 inch steel plate with red oak coals covered the oysters with a croaker sack soaked in Sea water. Steamed them till open then they were hammered with a shot of of Tobasco, butter or whatever guest favorites were at hand. And of course an appropriate beverage. Our intention was to smoke some pork but it ended up being grilled pork (to impatient). We gathered our wood from the local trees and our lighting for the evening event on the beach was the old timey highway department road hazzard lights which were the lit cannon ball shaped pots the Hwy Dept. placed around pot holes etc. Now that was the good times!

Great looking oysters! They look much better than the ones we had in Fla this past week. We're lucky enough to live close enough to the Gulf that seafood markets here usually have fresh oysters in stock. In the Fall we usually get a bushel, shuck them ourselves and put them on the grill. Nothing like a fresh shucked oyster!

Moving from the coast to MT and will miss fresh oysters. Never seen or heard of stainless shells! Looks like they work pretty good for already shucked oysters.

They look great Neighbor!

This site will ruin me!

Found these while looking around for crawfish and...now...oysters!

I believe they are almost the same as Jeanies.

http://www.lacrawfish.com/Stainless-Steel-Oyster-Shell-12-P742.aspx

SOS-Shells-400x400.jpg

The grilled ones look great but being another old Fl. boy that grew up in the panhandle of Fl, who's dad worked in the seafood business as I in my teens and early 20's. The fried ones are done to prefection!!!!

Originally Posted by 16Adams View Post
As my Dad once told me, and I've often repeated,"son there are just some country clubs that'll never let you in.”

Adams.....they sleep with PEARLS for goodness sake.....”Take a walk on the wild side”..Lou Reed

Wow!

Raw, fried, smoked, roasted...oysters do not go to waste in my house

Those look great!

Thank you all for the kind comments and the helpful info!
I envy those of you who live close to fresh seafood. I'd love to be able to enjoy oysters more often. Thanks friends! :grin:

I love oysters and you're tugging at my hearts strings with these, Jeanie.

Great cook! :thumb:

Thank you John! :grin:

Love oysters and those look awesome!! The stainless shells are sweet!!l Did you buy them our make them yourself?

Thanks Tater! I think I got them from amazon.. I've had them for awhile. They work great! I put 2 oysters into each "shell", they were on the small side. :grin:

Thanks Tater! I think I got them from amazon.. I've had them for awhile. They work great! I put 2 oysters into each "shell", they were on the small side. :grin:[/QUOTE]

You’re welcome! I’ll have to see if I can find some. I like grilling oysters right in the shell but sometimes I get a bit aggressive when shocking them😂

Back