High heat pork butt recipe request

jonboy

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Good morning,
Does anyone have a go to method for smoking pork butt hot and fast?
I'm looking for something to use when you get up early and want to get it done before dinner, about 5-8 hr window.
My general method is 250, fat up for 5 hrs and then fat down to finish with basting, cooking indirect on the egg.
Looking to try something new when time is short.:wink:

Thanks in advance,
jonboy

To try and get it done in 8 hours I always did it at 300 on my WSM. I've yet to do a pork butt on my new propane smoker

It took til 11 am to get the pork on the egg. The egg was frozen shut today :(
Finally got it lit and up to 350, indirect setup.
I injected the butt, and rubbed it down before putting it on. There is water in the drip pan.
Anything i am missing?
I am guessing 5 hours and then a long rest.
jon

Whenever i do a pork butt hot and fast, i trim the fat pretty aggressively. I then put on the smoker at 325-350. When I get the right color I want on the pork butt, I will pan it up with some apple cider vinegar (a little more than 1 cup) and foil the pan and put it back on the smoker till the butt probes tender. Let the butt rest and then when you pull, reintroduce the liquid/fat that is in the pan into the pull pork.

At that heat you are looking at approximately 45min-1hr/pound.

You will get a product that is just as moist and tender as if cooked at 225 for 2+hrs/pound.

At 3 00,150 degrees, 3 hrs into cook, panned with 1 cup apple cider vinegar, had a nice color so i decided to foil the pan

Off the egg at 3 15, thats only 4 hrs,15mins cook time at 350 dome temp...:)

Resting until later,
Thanks for all the help,
jon

thats the ticket, except i would have taken it to about 180 I>T. Then jerked it off, wrapped and coolered. The resting will make the cook if the internal temp was high enough when removed... Good luck!!!

did it probe tender, or did the bone wiggle free? I'm doubtful it's gonna pull easily.

Most pork butts I have done when hot and fast will not probe tender or bone wiggle until 200-205IT. You can pull at 190-195ish if you let it rest for 4+hrs so that it gets nice and tender, but if you pull after an hour rest it will not be tender.

Sorry but no pictures.
Butt was 205 when removed from egg, i rested for 2 hrs and then pulled.
Separated the juice and fat, poured over the pulled meat.
Family is happy. :)
The texture is different from low and slow. It is firmer.
Pork is juicy. Next attempt will use some other liquids with the ACV.
If you add a finishing sauce to this, i dont think you would tell the difference between low and slow.
jon

This butt was cooked at 325* for two hours, then wrapped for about 3 hours. All done in about 5.5 hours with an additional 1 hour rest. I spritzed it about 1 time per hour then put about 1/4 stick of butter over it before wrapping.

picture.php

picture.php

The last one I did was 9.5 pounds. Cooked at 325 till around 170 then foiled with apple juice and finished at 350. Total cook time was 7 hrs. I think it was the best one I've done yet.

Back