• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Comparing Kamados

I have a Vision Classic grill from Costco and am quite happy with it. I took a few cooks to learn how to best control the temps, but since then I've been able to go overnight with no adjustments. Last weekend, I smoked some home made sausage at 205f for 3 hours wtih no problem. What sold me on it was what I got for the money. It included the side tables, two levels of grill space, and a heavy duty cover. The only change I've made to it was to add a KJ heat deflector.

I've never seen a Vision on the floor at Costco. Do they only get displayed seasonally? I presume you could order via the website year round.

I have a Vision Classic grill from Costco and am quite happy with it. I took a few cooks to learn how to best control the temps, but since then I've been able to go overnight with no adjustments. Last weekend, I smoked some home made sausage at 205f for 3 hours wtih no problem. What sold me on it was what I got for the money. It included the side tables, two levels of grill space, and a heavy duty cover. The only change I've made to it was to add a KJ heat deflector.

I love my Vision from Costco. For the money it was a great deal. I smoke something at least once a week and grill a couple of times a week. It has changed the way I think about BBQ.

Had the opportunity to stop at a local Ace Hardware (Palo Alto) where they had one Classic Joe out on the floor. Seeing it in person I was impressed. The ceramics did seem thick and had the rough surface I've read about. The lid was heavier than I expected but the unit didn't at all feel unstable in the steel cart included.

The side tables don't seem overly heavy-duty but they do click into the upright position solidly and seem fine for holding the usual serving tray / thermometer base / beer. The arms of the side tables are each secured to the kamado body with four small bolts - two on the front arm, two on the back - which are capped with what look to be stainless acorn cap nuts, which was nice to see up close and rest assured that if you someday move up to a table or BBQ island you could remove the side tables and just re-cap the bolts. (KJ also sells these units without the tables and cart in case that's your plan from the get-go).

The top vent was very impressive. It's heavy and well designed so it can be completely closed (no rain cap needed) or you can swing the whole daisywheel vent aside to expose almost the whole vent for maximum exhaust. The felt gaskets were naturally peeled up in some spaces due to being a display model, but the felt was thick and looked like quality. There are gaskets on the lid and cooker and I wouldn't be worried about sandwiching a braided therm cord between them the way I do every time I close one of my kettles. The bottom vent was sticking so I didn't mess with it much, but I think it's an older display model that didn't have the 2012 upgrade with a screen that also slides open for ash removal. The stainless cooking grate seemed very sturdy and has one hinged section for adding coals or smoking wood and worked smoothly. It might be a tad narrow for the largest wood chunks I've pulled out of bags but not really a big concern. The overall cooking space seemed fine for my purposes but I'd be interested to see a BigJoe in person for comparison's sake.

The last observation was how very attractive a cooker it was! The pictures made me think the black unit wasn't very pretty but the ceramics are shiny, not matte, and the bamboo side tables and lid handle are stained a very rich dark brown that really dresses up the look of the whole thing. I had been thinking the red option was a no-brainer based on Internet photos but up close the black was a head-turner for sure.

First time I can remember being excited to do my taxes in a while... :wink:

Last edited:
I received a medium BGE as a gift about 8 years ago. It's still going strong. In late 2010 I wanted a larger ceramic. I teetered back and forth between the BGE XL and Primo XL. In the end the dividable firebox of the Primo XL won out.

I use the Primo for smoking or large quantity grilling and the BGE Med for grilling.

There's something to be said for running 19 hours at 225 on 1/2 a firebox of lump :grin:

I gave my BGE XL to my son and he is enjoying it now.

Vision Kamado from Costco

I saw the Vision Kamado at Costco. I had been looking at the BGE. Based on reviews from this site I purchased one (less than 50% cost of BGE). I have used it almost weekly this year. I did have a couple things initially (wood table had a crack out of the box and the top vent became very hard to adjust) one email to the vendor and new parts arrived right away (both times). I also improved the seal around the inlet with some high temp sealant (per instructions from this site). I figured out how to control temps real quick and I bought a heat diffuser for it (Ceramic Grill Store). I have done pizza at 700 and slow cooked butts over night. It works great. I knew if there was anything I did not like, Costco would take it back. For me this was a second grill so price was an issue. I have to say that I use it much more than my other grill now.
There are obviously a number of great products listed here and many folks have experience with them - I would buy the Vision Kamado again without hesitation.

You make me want to check out the Vision. I'll call CostCo and see if / when they have them on the floor.

You make me want to check out the Vision. I'll call CostCo and see if / when they have them on the floor.

As you guessed before I believe they are a seasonal item. The Costco's in SoCal cleared them out a month or two ago. Good luck finding one, if you do snatch it up!

Mine has become my go-to grill and smoker. I also have an older brinkman grill and a Santa Maria style oak pit on the back patio. Each serves it purpose, but I cook on the kamado most often.

From the research I did online before I bought it, nearly all manufacturers have their fans and their haters. Yes, I even found people that hate the BGE. The Vision fit best into my budget and I coundn't be happier with it!

Im gonna vouch for the vision as well. Great kamado grill. I have the Vision Pro and I love it. Their customer service is top notch. I had a few minor issues and had replacement parts within days of contacting them. FYI Home Depot and Costco have them online delivered for $699. My bro and my friend ordered one each right on their phone as soon as they had q off of it at my house. That ought to say something. Ive done butts, briskets, ribs, pizza, etc with amazing results. Good luck with whatever your choice is as ceramic cookers are all around awesome.

I too have been in the market to upgrade. I sort of narrowed it down to 4 ceramics. The BGE, Primo, Saffire, and the Vision.
I've just started looking and the first one I saw was the Saffire. WOW. Thankfully the wife wasn't there. I would have taken it home. It was everything standard plus the table and granite top. It was on sale too. I too have interest in the Vision grill but I want to see what I'm getting before I spend. I'm not having any luck locating one locally.This weekend I will be looking at the BGE. and hopefully getting in a Primo viewing before the end of the month. I'm in no rush but I'm also anxious to upgrade. I really miss smoking during the winter months.

I've had my Kamado Joe Classic for 4 months now, and so far I love it. Mine came with a clever chute / drawer to clean the ash out that works really well. I've cooked pizzas and steaks at high temp (up to 800F) and ribs and butt low and slow. The accessories are really high quality and well thought out. The heat deflector can be set in two positions,the second grill keys into the primary securely, and the pizza stone works well to brown the dough without burning. The include grill gripper is handy, as well as the ash tool, which I use mostly for moving coals around. The cart and side tables work well too. All in all, a screaming value vs the ala carte BGE.

Oh, and it's red.

PM me if you have any questions.

RR

Back