Holy Pork! Pig Shots on the Egg

Excellent idea!:thumb: I see endless variations of this, Italian sausage with mozzarella and sun dried tomato, kielbasa with cheddar and mashed potatoes, breakfast sausage with pancake batter then drizzled with maple syrup, etc., etc. Of course bacon is the key!!

That is quite possibly the most ingenious thing I've ever seen! I will try this, I was thinking of adding a slice of jalapeno under the cream cheese for some kick...:-D

Wow! So many possibilities, so much goodness to be had in my mouth! :shocked: :-D

How did I manage to miss these??? Oh, these are definitely on my go-to list now! Thanks, 71-South! :grin:

I recently ran across an appetizer called "Pig Shots" on another site and decided to give them a try.

When Mrs. South bit into one, there was a five second pause followed by "OH MY GOD !!!" Yep, they're pretty good. According to her, they're my go-to appetizer now, required at all BBQ-like gatherings.

I started with a plain old store bought Polish Keilbasa, cut into discs about 1/2 inch tall with the casings removed (they make them too chewy, apparently).

Then I took 1/2 strip of bacon and wrapped it around each disc (creating a shot glass of sorts) and secured with a single toothpick run through.

pig-shots-011512-wrapped-and-pinned.JPG

I filled the shot glasses half way up with some plain (microwave softened) Philly Cream Cheese.

pig-shots-011512-cream-cheese.JPG

I filled them the rest of the way (even overflowed a bit) with dark brown sugar.

pig-shots-011512-brown-sugar.JPG

I sprinkled half of them with my beloved Yardbird for some comparisons later.

pig-shots-011512-leaded-and-unleaded.JPG

On to the LBGE they went (sweet blue / light hickory). 225° for 2 hours. They ended up at about 180° internal.

pig-shots-011512-starting-on-egg.JPG

Ready to pull after two hours...

pig-shots-011512-ready-to-pull-1.JPG

pig-shots-011512-ready-to-pull-2.JPG

Mrs. South plated them up and tried one. OMG moment referenced above followed 5 seconds later.

pig-shots-011512-on-platter-2.JPG

pig-shots-011512-on-platter-closeup.JPG

She preferred the ones w/o the rub. I honestly couldn't tell the difference. Interesting. I'll absolutely be doing these again.

Highly recommended, Brethren!

Added to the list of things to try.

I'm thinking of doing this, but using "kandy krisp" jalapeno slices in kieu of the sugar.

Perhaps some pulled pork mixed in with the cream cheese?
or chorizo even?

I tried these for the first time today. I usually cook ABTs for 90 - 120 minutes on the pit @ 225-250 but today the pit was at 325 so I checked them after an hour... half of them were incinerated. (no hyperbole, they were burnt to charcoal)

It's an offset pit (DPP Fat 50) and it was new to me this past Summer and I've never had a flare up... is it possible the bacon fat caught fire as it was rendering out?

Pretty disappointed in the results.

I have 10 lbs of homemade polish sausage and two lbs of hickery bacon . Thawing the cream cheese . I have a 13 spice rub that i make ... Guess whats on the menue for tomorrow . Nice job

Back