Anyone own a Gator pit "TRADITIONAL with UPRIGHT"

Qczar

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Been looking for a good smoker / grill. Of course one that needs no mortgage and looks good with the doublewide. Do any of you fine cooks have any info on the 'Gator Pit' "TRADITIONAL with UPRIGHT" GPGS1632 ?

Pros or cons?

Much obliged, ............... Greedyweed

You mean this one? :D

I've got the catalog and price list at home -- so I can't quote prices right now.

Yes Dave, that be the one. Sure looks purty. But I would like to know if anyone has had experiance with this sucker. I was told they go for $675 + shipping from GatorPit.

Being new to smoking:

With this such a model, would the fire need to be going in the horizontal grill area to smoke in the vertial camber for 'hot smokeing'.?

Would the fire in the fire box on the right be used for 'cold smoking' in the vertical box?

And, using the fire box on the right to smoke in the horizonital grill area?

Still learning, ............... Greedyweed

I'm really not "qualified" to answer these question but I'll make a few observations:

Normally all your fires will be in the firebox. Normally you wouldn't build a fire in the horizontal chamber because there's no ash pan or removal door.

If you are doing 'que (hot smoking 250 or so degrees) in the vertical you will have a heck of a fire in the firebox -- the horizontal chamber will be pretty hot to get the vertical up to 250.

I think the Klose BYC owners (Like Phil) have seen this -- often you wind up queing in the horizontal and using the vertical as a warmer or for cooler cooking.

As with any tool it takes practice to get used to the quirks -- I know Ritch provides tuning plates for his smokers as does D. Klose and other builders. If you are more interested in the vertical cooker take a look at the GPGS2448 Upright water smoker -- basically it's a Bandera type cooker on steroids. Emphasis is on the verticle cooker with a large firebox that can also be used for grilling.

Another interesting option is the Brazillian with the vertical chamber built over the firebox and the horizontal being heated like we're used to seeing. GPGS2032BV is the model number.

I'm sure Phil can tell ya the pros and cons of his BYC from Klose and I believe he just assisted Greg (Parrothead) in purchasing a BYC. I'm sure you'll be hearing from them, too.

You can always e-mail and/or call Richey Robin at Gator, with your questions. I visited his shop, and found him to be genuine and straight-talking. And I was impressed with his smokers.

Richey would be the best person to answer your question. He has a way of getting the heat from the firebox to the vertical chamber with only a small temperature difference between the vertical and horizontal chambers. What this means in practice is, you can use both chambers simultaneously for cooking.

-egkor (Gary K)

Greedyweed said:
Still learning, ............... Greedyweed

Greedyweed, welcome.....I wonder if you have a brother that used to work in my group? All my other staff called him Dickweed.

'Weed;

The price I've got is $625 for the GPGS1632 which is the horizontal single door model -- the verticle or Upright Smoke box will run ya another $650 so about $1275 for the setup in the pics with the "V" added.

To put it all in perspective:

The GPGS2032BV "Brazillian Smoker/Grill is $2700
The GPGS2448 Upright Water Smoker (steriod Bandera) is $2600

I have no idea what a BYC costs from Klose but I'm guessing with delivery you're probably looking at $3K or so. Heck, call around and see who'll work with ya and help you get a deal.

have no idea what a BYC costs from Klose
Base starts at 1,495 I believe, but don't qoute me on it. Then there are the glorius add-ons. Shipping is an oucher. Some people make the Mecca and pick them up themselves.

have had the opportunity to cook on a Gator pit and a couple of different Klose pits. The Gatorguessing it was a 6ft pit cooked great--not much fire tending and the pit looked good too!.. But the Klose pit is in another league I think--An 8 footer(with vertical) stuffed with 25lb turkey held temp with the addition of a pc of wood every hr or so.. One day I will make the trip to Texas and bring home a pit but not for a while 'cause my yard is pit rich right now

apersdon would be very happy with either pit

Buzz

Back