View Single Post
Old 11-23-2012, 02:51 PM   #8
hossrocks
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
How do you stay in biz with food costs that hi???
Ours runs 32-35% with labor running about 12% thru the week.
Your prices need to be adjusted to bring % into line.
Bubba, I could only wish to have numbers like that. Outside of volume are you guys cooking your meats differently to gain a higher yield? I'm averaging 55-60% yeild on my pork and 50-55% on brisket and chicken. We are using almost everything in one way or another for specials.
Our prices are comparable to the few BBQ joints in town. Mostly franchise joints. Famous Dave's, Dickeys and Goodwood. I've pushed our specials to $8.50 in some instances, but the tolerance level is pretty low so far. BTW, Bubba I follow you guys on FB. Hats off to your specials brotha. Very creative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacked UP BBQ View Post
Here is the problem with a bbq joint. Brisket is very high you take yield into consideration. If you tried to sell it at 35% or lower, for just a 5oz sandwich you will be at 10-12 bucks. Pork on the other hand you can sell in the high 20 percent range to help bring other averages down. If you have a small menu and your higher percentage items are your most popular you are going to have an overall COGS. Are you factoring in to go products in your COGS? If not add those in and your number will increase more. The best way to find out is cost out each and every meal individually and see where that leaves you. My restaurant sells a lot of ribs, so my food cost runs higher. But when I sell some apps at 18% food cost I am able to average it out and bring that high number down a little. In a perfect world you want to be at 30%, some items in the industry, its just not possible, ribs, brisket, good steaks, you are going to be in the 40-45% range or they are going to rot in your walk in. BBQ bubba, damn keeping your labor that low is GREAT, your owner must be making a killing!
I've done just that. Went through the menu just the other day again. Food cost are averaging 33-35%. I'm striving for a balanced menu but I'm finding it tough. Brisket is our most popular menu item.

Thanks for the help fellas
[B]Kuna, ID[/B]
[URL="http://www.bigdaddysbbqonline.com"]www.bigdaddysbbqonline.com[/URL]
Louisiana Grill - Whole Hog
Traeger 150
30x72 Reverse Flow Offset
16ft Wells Cargo Mobile Kitchen
12ft Full service Mobile Kitchen
hossrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->