How do you pull pork

Like Sisthren Padawan...

IMG_2257.jpg

I like to let the Butt cool enough to use my hands. I like the steven raichlen gloves but they get greasy and slippery, then I can't get any traction to get the damn things off my hands. I usually have to bite down on one rubber finger to pull them off.

Cloth inner gloves with nitrile over those and a pair of Bear Paws. I like the Paws a lot because you can actually lift the meat with them too.

I just chew it up and spit it into the pan.

This method works best if your guests don't watch this part! :tape:

I placed an order on one of those gloves. Butt should feel nice in those :)

Depends on what you call large amounts... For example, this weekend I'm making about as small an amount of Q as I've done in 5 or 6 years; I'll be Qing only 6 or 7 butts. Ordinarily I do 10-15, have done as many as 42. Always pull by hand, sometimes if so hot we'll actually adorn nitrile gloves. Some, as you've read, put the nitrile over other gloves, but I find that I need/want to feel the pork; fat feels different than pork.

P1020127.jpg

P1020147.jpg

DSCN2823.jpg

Last edited:
Depending on if I am in a "Wolverine" mood or not.........

Wolverine mood = [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003IWI66W/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B003IWI66W&linkCode=as2&tag=azilpla-20"]THESE[/ame]

Non-Wolverine mood = [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007ZGURK/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0007ZGURK&linkCode=as2&tag=azilpla-20"]THESE[/ame]

Both work great.

My process probably takes too long, but I trim a pretty good amount of the fat first. I take each section individually, trim any fat, and give it a very coarse chop (1.5" by 1.5" or so).

I prefer plastic food service gloves and a cleaver when it comes to trimming fat. I can feel it with my hands and I can separate larger sections quickly with a cleaver.

Trimming does take me longer, but, for me, the coarse-chopping with a cleaver saves a lot of over hand-pulling with pvc/insulated gloves. I find hand pulling to be a little tedious. A few whacks with a cleaver, and boom, I've immediately got the consistency I want.

I use the bone I remove from the butt to cut the clod down to size and then I use my hands, that are in gloves, to finish the job. Works well for me.

I usually just do it with my bare hands a burn the hell out of myself in the process. I have used nitrile surgical type glove on occasions when I wasn't somewhere that I could wash my hands before and after. I don't use forks and I don't think I would like using gloves that were thick enough to prevent me from feeling where the fat is.

I use two large forks. I think they are salad serving forks or something. They are like 3 times the size of a regular fork. They work great.

Bob

I use my hands unless it's one of those North Carolina racing pigs. Then it's the chain and my old Jimmy pick up.

Best way to pull your pork is with your hands! Lmao
I use my hands, either with Steve's gloves or food handling gloves. I have seen the mixer method, and a company sells something similar to what Hunt in made. I like to use my hands so I can get most of the nasty fat out.

By hand, thin pair of food handling gloved only. I like to get the larger chunks of fat out by hand rather than shredding it all up together using bear claws.

Back