• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Which smoke wood to get? Ordering today.

Patrice

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm just about to pass an order with Smokinlicious as wood chunks are pretty much unavailable in Montreal. Since they come in 12 lbs. boxes and I'm new to smoking I want to get just one.

Any advice on which wood would be the most versatile or which one would be so good that you don't care if it goes that well with any meat?

The choices I have are:

- Red oak
- Sugar maple
- Ash
- Alder
- White oak
- Wild cherry

Once again, thanks for taking time to answer a newbie's questions.

First I would choose cherry and then the oak (either white or red).

I really loved the light taste of cherry on pork but I also loved the hickory I used this last weekend with spares. I have only eaten oak smoked wood, not cooked with it and it resemble light hickory flavor.

Remember I too am new to this game of smoking but those are the woods I have used, not including mesquite which is amazingly strong!! I didn't hate it but my wife did!!

If I only had a choice of one on your list, I'd get either of the oaks. Hickory is my go to and apple a close second but I do love oak on beef especially.

I have only eaten oak smoked wood, not cooked with it and it resemble light hickory flavor.

Wasn't the oak smoked wood you ate a bit hard to chew?:wink:

Yes, that is why I have dentures now....lol...:crazy:

I think I type faster than I can think and man, it bites me in the behind pretty often.

Most smokehouses here in FL use oak to smoke with and the food is delicious but it is lighter flavored than hickory wood smoked food. I prefer hickory at the moment with a bit of cherry thrown in for grins.

Of the choices on that list, and I could only get one, it would be the cherry. Cherry works on beef and pork really well, and I would think it would be good on poultry too.

Didn't KCQuer used to say that "any hardwood was good for smoke as long as it's cherry"?

Have you checked out doitbest.com? Free shipping, at least in the states...

- Red oak Excellent on beef, good on pork too
- Sugar maple WONDERFUL on poultry
- Ash dont know
- Alder dont know
- White oak Excellent on beef and pork
- Wild cherry can get strong, great on poultry, some like it on pork

Have you checked out doitbest.com? Free shipping, at least in the states...

- Red oak Excellent on beef, good on pork too
- Sugar maple WONDERFUL on poultry
- Ash dont know
- Alder dont know
- White oak Excellent on beef and pork
- Wild cherry can get strong, great on poultry, some like it on pork

No doitbest in Canada.

As a matter of fact, get them all and then widdle (no pun intended..:) it down to what you like.

I would go cherry as it is more verstaile. But, most folks love hickory and oak is something I lilke for beef. Cherry will be more versatile if you like light smoke, hickory for a stronger smoke

I would go with oak and then something else. I usually use white oak and maple. Only cause I get them free. Oak burns much slower then the maple and apple it seems.

I think its crazy that someone in Canada has to pay for wood. I figured you guys were up to your knees in the stuff.

I'm just about to pass an order with Smokinlicious as wood chunks are pretty much unavailable in Montreal. Since they come in 12 lbs. boxes and I'm new to smoking I want to get just one.

Any advice on which wood would be the most versatile or which one would be so good that you don't care if it goes that well with any meat?

The choices I have are:

- Red oak
- Sugar maple
- Ash
- Alder
- White oak
- Wild cherry

Once again, thanks for taking time to answer a newbie's questions.

Patrice, you can probably find oak and ash from someone who supplies firewood. Maple shouldn't be a problem to find! Have you checked out places like http://www.piecesdb.com/bbq.html ? There are also enough apple orchards in the Montreal area(well not on the Island of Montreal) that apple wood wouldn't be hard to find either.

Cherry on the way! I will eventually try fo find cheaper sources but for now it's pretty convenient.

White oak ,then cherry and then maple. You can always reduce the size of the chunks or pieces to make less smoke and flavor.Pecan is what I use mostly, with hickory -cherry mix next. I'm lucky to have many types of wood to use and do. Hackberry is been used more often here lately also.Steve.

Back