new question different foot!!!!

C

charliec

OK Guys
after starting off on the wrong foot
ill try the other foot!!!!
can i get opinions on the american gourmet smoker??
thanks in advance
charliec

It's an offset so with the appropriate mods - ie. make sure the chimney is extended down to the cooking grate and perhaps a baffle or "tuning plate" you'd be ready to go.

It's similar to my New Braunfels Quikset and/or the Black Diamon or Hondo -- just a bit smaller.

If it's at WalMart (and I know it is) then look for one when they put them on sale.

Also, if the American Gourmet Delux is the one I'm thinking it is: it's a bit small. With it's size you'd almost be better off with a bullet - either the Cadillac of a Weber Smoky Mountain or even a El Cheapo Brinkmann.

Or if you can't spring for a Bandera or clone then go with a Hondo or Black Diamond or take a look at what BigMista uses -- there is an optional firebox available for the grill/barrel he uses.

charliec-

I had an american gourmet deluxe before I bought my Brinkmann Smoke King Deluxe. In my experience it doesn't even come close to the Brinkmann. It's alot smaller, and the metal if much thinner. Which resulted in constantly having to add fuel to keep it at the appropriate temp. I never new anything about mods when I had it so maybe that's why I had such a hard time with temps, but if I had known ahead of time I would have just gotten the bigger BKSD. Hope this helps, TIMBO.

DFLittle said:
... take a look at what BigMista uses -- there is an optional firebox available for the grill/barrel he uses.

Did somebody mention my name?

Charliec,

I use the Chargriller Super Pro. You can get it with an offset firebox under the name of Smoking pro. You can check it out here...

http://www.chargriller.com/

I get great results without the firebox. Just goes to show the it's the cook, not the equipment that makes the difference. Learn everything you can here and you will make some great meals!

Mista

im going to offer my 2cent worth here.. it is what I just told a friend last week who bought the AGS from Sports authority for 80 bucks.

DO NOT LET IT DISILLUSION YOU.!!

Its a tiny little thing.. 240 sq inchs cooking grate.. approx 12x20....with real thin steel. You will most likely have some trouble maintaining temps. Also, keep something VERY iimportant in mind.. it being a horizontal cooker, you will need to keep your food out of that hot spot right next to the firebox.. and due to its size, by the time your a safe distance from the fire, you will most likely be about halfway across the food grate. So you've lost a good amount of your useable space. I dont think that the AGS can do a full rack of spares because of its size. You need to use a ribrack and cut the racks in half....if I were to be using it i would put an aluminum foil pan right next to that opening and also put some hot water in the bottom of the barrel. Both will baffle your temps a little bit. The chimney on that comes out the high-middle of the end of the chamber, not the top... so you dont need to extend it down to grate level like the hondo.

I truly hate to shoot down any smoker. We will help with any and all of them, but that little thing I really think will lead to frustration and disillusionment. For the same money, there are better alternatives. For the same price, a weber kettle(silver-22inch, 79 bucks) will most likely have the same capacity and yield MUCH better results. 20 bucks more you can get a brinkman bullet type from HD and for 129 you can get a silver smoker from HD that is more than twice the size, i think Carbroil has a similar version called the sierra or something like that.,. Those are a little more real cookers and will not lend to the frustration as much. I would really recommend looking at those.

If I can add to what Phil is stating it does not matter if you have a $50k smoker or a hole in the ground the cook is what is important. Will it be harder to get great BBQ from AGS IMO yes. However you will become a better cook each and every time you use it.

Jim

Ok Brothers.. I stand corrected..

My friend who just used the AGS for the first time this weekend says he got great results. He was able to fit 2 racks of babybacks and said the temps were 225 consistant across the entire smoker(using oven thermos). The hot spot wasnt an issue and he didnt rotaqte the racks at all. He kept the fire real small and had to keep adding fuel. What he did due was build a baffle out of foil. So.. i stand corrected.. when i saw it in Sports authority, i just looked atr that thing and saw one big hot spot.. Guess NB kept thermodynamics in mind when they designed the thing.

using oven thermos

Uhh - I've said this before. You must not use the term "Thermos" on this board because people will become utterly confused thinking it's something you put coffee in, alternatively a brand of ice cooler.

Signed - J. Rentz (Mr. keep it right on topic aficionado) :roll:

Back