Trying Lump for the first time....Questions

code3rrt

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Kind of a spur of the moment cook. I've been wanting to try lump for quite awhile, just decided today to try it with some stuffed chicken thighs. I will post some pRon later.

I normally use KBB but you know, I always taste a kind of petroleum flavor in the food, nobody else seems to notice. It seems that I don't taste it as much with the initial cook, but when I heat the leftovers, it is very noticable to me, again, others don't seem to notice it. Anyone else out there notice that?

I'm trying lump to see if that "goes away" if you will.

Anyhow, started up the chimney with a full load of lump. It was Frontier brand from Lowe's. I was hoping to get some Cowboy or Wicked good, but didn't manage to find either on my spur of the moment cook. I noticed a lot of "snap, crackle and pop" while it was firing up, is that normal with lump? Or is that just the brand....anyone else familiar with the Frontier brand?

Anyway, the cook is under way. I'll come back with some pRon and additional editorial in the next day or two.

By the way, I stuffed the chicken thighs (boned them first of course) with just a simple sage dressing, then seasond half of them with Yardbird, the other half with Savory poultry, then wrapped in bacon.

Anyway, more later.

KC

SNap,crackle,pop is normal for lighting new lump,used lump,not as much. It burns hotter and faster than funky (filler filled)briqs.Cleaner taste,hotter fire.Just toy with it.you will will NEVER use briqs again!!!:thumb:

This is just MY opinion(before someone wants to contradict me). !!!:tongue:
IYD,SBI,ME b bizzee.:wink:

I use Royal Oak and B&B lump and always get a snap crackle pop from the RO and occasionally from the B&B.

I noticed a lot of "snap, crackle and pop" while it was firing up, is that normal with lump? Or is that just the brand....anyone else familiar with the Frontier brand?
Not familiar with that brand, but most lump does that. Some does it more than others. Nothing to be alarmed with.

Stuffed thighs sound good. :hungry:

Look at the bag and see if it was packaged in the USA, if so, it is really good stuff made in the ozarks of Missouri. If it says product of Mexico, it probably smells like a dumpster fire and is not good for much. I think Frontier USA is one of the better lump charcoals out there. It is owned by Packaging Service Company and they seem to put out a pretty good product, you just have to be aware of the origin of the charcoal.

Frontier is ok. Royal oak makes a lot of the store brands. I've been buying it from GFS in the big bags. I know a lot of comp teams swear by kingsford but I will stick with lump.

Congratulations you have taked the first step to better Q. It takes some getting used to but well worth the experience. Snap crackle and pop are the result of junk (trash) in the lump. The next step is to make your own lump. Excellent quality control, very little cost, and no snap crackle and pop.

I prefer lumb but will NEVER use cowboy again My fav is whicked but will also use RO or Humphry's. This stuff burns forever in my egg. When I had a stickburner the lump made it too hot. If using briquetts try Stumps- a little pricey but good

Back