If you could only Compete 1 time - were would you go?

Shiz-Nit

Babbling Farker
Okay outside of all our dreams like an only invite Comp like the "Jack".

Were would you go to Compete if you could only go to one BBQ Comp per year?

This thread will give props to all the people behind the scenes, promoters and reps out there.

So tell us where is the best places to go?

Paid for? Meaning, no cost to me?

Memphis In May. Beyond any shadow of a doubt. Preferably in whole shoulder, but ribs would be ok. But, it's very, very, VERY costly to participate.

If you throw that one out because of the qualifier and draw, then my 2nd choice would be the Big Pig Jig in Vienna, GA. Not nearly as expensive
ans MiM, but not cheap by any stretch, and more of an all week shin-dig, not just Friday night & Saturday. Huge field, 100+ LARGE teams (usually 6-15 people teams), loads of fun, and oh, by the way, they have a helluva pork MBN cookoff. The competition is just about as stiff as it is at MiM.

I plan on cooking dillard every year I am above ground and they will have me. One day I hope to beat my son there and if I am lucky, maybe a grandson as well.

This is a tough one. Roc City Rib Fest is the largest in NYS and is a lot of fun, but I think I have to give a nod to Boston Hills BBQ Fest. This is the most competitor friendly competition I've ever been to. The GC and RGC trophies are the sickest/coolest I've ever seen (fire helmets on a wood base). And being about 10 minutes away doesn't hurt either.

Paid for? Meaning, no cost to me?

I was thinking of comps for BBQers to enter sorry about that so most would be cost to us.
And yes I agree MM in May is one NICE Comp Indeed!!!!! But it seems like it always rains each time we go.... I think that place is the BIGGGEST party at night that I have seen at a BBQ Comp also.

The South Dakota BBQ Championships in Huron, SD. Although it is my hometown, I'd hit up this event even if I didn't live here.:thumb:

King of the Smoker is the high bar, granted it is an invitational... outside of that,

Big Blue BBQ! - gotta go back to the first win. and It is one of the best run comps out there!! They even send out Christmas cards/ornaments to the teams. 1st class folks all the way.

I'm with Lake Dogs...Memphis in May is amazing to cook. +1

Yet I have never met any organizers or a contest more dedicated to teams than Boston Hills. Mike and his crew are awesome. This is a very close 2nd

+1 for Dillard, GA. The oldest KCBS event in the state and arguably the toughest field for a four meat contest in the South, barring The Jack.

Hard one.... I'd have to alternate years. Kettering Ohio because that is the contest that started us in this hobby. Xenia Ohio because one of the organizers moved on and started a contest being held at the fairgrounds there. A great guy and cause and it would be hard to choose....so I'd alternate.

On second thought Nelsonville has given us consistently better results, maybe I'd pick there ;>)

Another +1 for Dillard....One of the toughest fields around, but in a nice setting. Also the fact that they have all Master Judges at every table.

Back