Thread: Just Joined Up
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2003, 02:23 PM   #1
BamaJim
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Just Joined Up

Hello to all you Bandera Brethren N Sistren!

I'm Jim from Hoover, Alabama--just down the road from Birmingham. I got a Bandera last week, got it together, and, thanks to all the good info many of you have contributed, I've been doing some of the mods suggested in the Bandera 101 doc and elsewhere. When the silicone seal finishes curing (and assuming I can still open the smoke chamber at that point), I'll "smoke it in." The heat deflector mod is installed, and I'm working on the expanded metal grate.

I'm a casual outdoor cook. I've had a water smoker for years--mostly smoked turkeys, chickens, some ribs and also a standing rib roast once. Maybe we'll smoke some pork loins and ribs for New Year's Day, if the Bandera is all smoked in and ready by then.

The most barbecuing I ever did at once was an all-day smoke of about 130 butts on a large open pit owned by a local Roman Catholic church. Two of us burned up a 5-inch hickory tree and dispensed three or four containers of Mortons' Salt before they got up to temp, and we smelled like hickory smoke for a week--which wasn't all that bad, come to think of it. :D When we finished, we went by the church with an offering of a butt or two for the priest, who was Irish. "It's glad I'll be to be takin' 'em," he said--"for the poor, of course." Either this man was truly a saint, or was recalling his own vow of poverty--I'll never know which.

Still, there's no doubt about it--I'm still a novice.

I'm just glad that this site exists, and that you all are willing to share what you've learned. Thanks.

Jim