What meets do you inject? With what?

N

NewBBQer

I love a texas pete and butter injected deep fried turkey! Is there anything you guys inject your meat with when you smoke it?:confused:

I don't inject. God made meat taste pretty good just the way it is. Alot of competition cooks inject as they need to pack as much flavor in one or two bites as they possibly can. For everyday bbq that's just overkill in my opinion.

But what do I know? I like meat, and I like to taste meat. If I wanted to taste apple juice, I would pour me a glass and sit a spell.

For competition, I inject brisket and butts with Butchers (they have products for both beef and pork). I mix it 1/2 as strong as the package recommends. Both compliment the natural meat flavor beautifully. Fab is a similar product. Both are available on the net.

When I do whole chickens, I inject with a mixture of extra virgin olive oil, garlic powder, onion powder, and a little kosher salt. This helps the breast meat stay moist and helps the bland chicken flavor out a bit.

Injections are primarily used to maintain moisture and promote good texture and secondarily to add any flavor. I appreciate Cook's comment about the natural meat flavor and, when I inject, just try to enhance it, not change it.

Pork Butt/Shoulders -> Mixture of Apple Juice, Worchestershire, and some of our rub
Brisket -> Butchers, mixed only a tad thinner than package recommendations

I'll inject a turkey with a 50/50 mix of melted butter and whiskey.

I've also done the pineapple juice into a butt with good results.

I like to inject butts with a basic mild brine: 2 cups water, 1 tbsp kosher salt, 1 tbsp turbinado sugar. You can add additional rub and seasonings if you'd like, but I prefer the simple background flavor enhancement that let's the true meat flavor shine through.

Brisket - Butcher's in beef broth
Butt - apple juice + apple cider vinegar + cayenne
Turkey - melted butter + white pepper

I injected a brisket last weekend for the first time and I probably won't ever do it again. Wayyyy too much flavor, I could only eat one brisket sandwich.

Brisket - Kosmo's Beef Injection kicked up with a little sumpin sumpin.
Butts - Kosmo's Pork Injection kicked up with a little sumpin extra.

I just got into injecting, but for Butts, I like A.J.+Worcestershire+Cider Vinegar and a bit of rub. Chucks I like Beef Stock+Worcestershire+rub. But I don't seriously inject the meat. I give it enough of the injection to enhance flavors and not turn the whole thing into jello before it hits the smoker (OTS)

Back