• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Pickles....what do you like?

DubfromGA

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
My supply has been hit hard. Time load up on some more.

These have been great....not overly sweet....not overly hot. Just about right.

20130216_084034_zps69217d1b.jpg

Any particular variety that you are really fond of?

I've been experimenting with making my own pickles as of late... and not just those made with cucumbers!

Some folks in the neighborhood got me into pickled onions, pickled green beans, and my wife made a batch of pickled zucchini that rivals anything I've had from the store.

Here's a shot of some Spicy Traditional and Spicy Blue Dragon Thai Pickled Shallots
8277106139_c2ff8d2bf7.jpg

It's frustrating having to wait for a month or two (unless you're using one of those "quick pickle" recipes), but it sure is worth it!

Last edited:
I've been experimenting with making my own pickles as of late... and not just those made with cucumbers!

Some folks in the neighborhood got me into pickled onions, pickled green beans, and my wife made a batch of pickled zucchini that rivals anything I've had from the store.

It's frustrating having to wait for a month or two (unless you're using one of those "quick pickle" recipes), but it sure is worth it!

My grandfather used to make some awesome watermelon rind pickles.

I wasn't much of a pickle fan until I discovered Wickle's Pickles made here in Alabama. When tasting, they start out sour, switch to sweet and finish spicy hot. Best pickles ever!!!!

A jar of these little gems live in my icebox 24/7 365 lets just say they're highly addictive and are made for BBQ.

Blu's BBQ Pickles
This recipe comes from a roadside joint in central Texas that served these along with their BBQ. As a boy we would stop there on the way back from the sale barn on Wed me and my Dad and my PaPa. PaPa talked the old boy out of the recipe some how and they have been a family staple ever since.

One gallon of whole sour pickles (suggest Best Made Brand sour pickles Available at Walmart)
One four pound bag of sugar (2.5# for less sweet)
One two ounce bottle of Red Pepper sauce like Tabasco or Trappys
One twelve ounce can of jalapeno slices

Drain the pickles and discard the sour brine.

Cut the pickles into slices or spears or whatever suits you.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar, Red Pepper sauce and the juice from the jalapenos.

Alternately spoon sugar mixture and pickle & jalepeno slices back into the jar untill it's all in there which takes a little pushin' and
packin' towards the end.

During the next couple of hours, turn the jar over every few minutes to agitate the sugar and help it disolve.

The pickles will give up enough new brine to totally disolve the sugar over the next couple of hours. Stick'em in the 'fridge
and in a couple of days they'll be ready!

They should stay refrigerated when not actually gettin scarfed!

Looks like an interesting and tasty recipe, Blu. I think I'll have to give that a shot.

While they are expensive ($12/qt), I love McClure spicy pickles. I did try my hand at pickling last year with a recipe that turned out awesome, except for a lack of pickle crisp.

here's some of my favorite homemade ones..

Pickled Liverwurst..

kroger%20liverwurst.jpg

Jinks's Original pickled liver sausage.

1/2 gallon apple cider vinegar + 1 quart of water
2 large onions, cut in strips
2 to 3 tablespoons black peppercorns
2 to 3 tablespoons mustard seeds
few whole small red or green Chili peppers
~ 12 bay leaves
6 cloves of garlic
salt to taste
1/2 pound sugar
some hefty liver sausages

Bells jars, Sealable jars or a large lockable plastic container..
Pour one half gallon of vinegar in a saucepan with the water.
Add the sliced onions and Bay leaves. Add the peppers, mustard seeds and garlic.
Pinch of salt. Finally add 1/2 lbs of sugar.
Then you heat this mix but do not boil.
That is important: do not boil, but keep warm and stir until the sugar is dissolved.
Then you leave it to cool a bit.
Meanwhile cut the liver sausage. Thick slices.
Prop the liver sausage slices in the jars or jug.
Then you add the vinegar mix.
Now you let the jars rest in the refrigerator or cool pantry for ~ 2 weeks to come up to taste.

(Hint: If you use multiple jars in place of a large plastic container or jug-
sieve the vinegar mix and divide the solids peppers and onion etc.
in equal parts over the jars and then pour the liquid in the jars:^)

zure1.JPG

Pickled Garlics
truus%20der%20knoflookies%20(3).jpg

truus%20der%20knoflookies.JPG

HPIM5399rJPG.JPG

the garlic recipe:
https://skydrive.live.com/view.aspx?cid=795F85CDF7D72822&resid=795F85CDF7D72822!1035

for the small jars I mixed in 1 Tblsp of spicy curry powder or Spanish paprika powder and shake them to dissolve it..

Last edited:
Back