Independence Day (B-Day) Surf & Turf

dwfisk

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Tri-Tip & Scallops!
Well, the Florida monsoons kicked in right on time and it started raining about the time I needed to start the fire in the SM pit so went to plan B and fired up the 26.75 OGT on the back patio. A chimney of lump and some dried hickory. Used fire bricks to create a direct zone and an indirect zone; man I love the real estate on this thing!
041_zps46a701c3.jpg

Cooked indirect for 30 minutes turning once until IT hit about 100* then on direct to an IT of 125* (we like our more rare than most).
044_zps64fa397d.jpg

Then off to rest for 20 minutes in a covered foil pan. While they were resting, we prepped & cooked the "surf" part of the meal. First, wilted some spinach and lined sea-shells (these are not the bay scallop shells, got then somewhere just for cooking).
042_zps106c4476.jpg

Then added 6-10 bay scallops (these little suckers are about 3/4 inch in diameter and 1 inch long), a dusting of panko, little garlic butter, bearnaise and crispy bacon bits).
045_zps98dd7db6.jpg

046_zps36f3da3f.jpg

And into the Weber on a dying fire at about 350* for 15 minutes, just until the scallops are warm and a hint on smoke.
047_zpsbb10fb22.jpg

Close-up headed to the plate.
048_zps3c9accb3.jpg

And of course, the tri-tip.
050_zps260ca85a.jpg

051_zps00be88a9.jpg

Had some broccoli casserole, sweet potatoes and a salad to accompany the main course(s).
Our prospective DIL made desert, and Independence Day layer cake with cheery, strawberry and blueberry flavoring.
054_zpsea124928.jpg

053_zpsf0cde273.jpg

That's it, thanks for looking.

Happy Belated Birthday! Forget the tri-tip. I want the scallop thingies! Love the way you used the scallop shells as both the cooking vessel AND serving dish. Oh, please tell "Ms. Prospective" good job too!

Bacon on Scallops?

8)8)Sacrilege! I know I know. But I bet they tasted fantastic. The best lunch I ever had was in Newport RI on the bay. 3 Silver Dollar sized scallops, pan fried in butter with boiled potatoes and a glass of white chardonnay on the side. Wicked good.

A fine looking meal right there. I don't usually do dessert but I'll take a piece of that cake please. :thumb:

Good job or as my daughter would have said a few years ago... that is Da Bomb.com"!

She also said that you know when a saying goes out of date is when middle aged white men start saying it. :roll:

Back