• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Cooking Class Chicagoland Swamp Boys BBQ Class at Cabelas

cmohr74

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
We have some great news for all of you interested in the Swamps boys class in Chicago. We have a lock on March 29-30, 2013 (Friday & Saturday). The next part of the great news...it is at CABELAS in Hoffman Estates, IL!!!! The class is a cost of $500. This is a one chance opportunity to not have to spend $1,000's (because you know your spouse wouldn't let you go without her :wink:) to fly down to Flordia to take this class.
Also, Rob has agreed to donate one ticket to the class valued at $500. The tickets will be sold for $25 each. The proceeds will go to support Illinois BBQ Alliance, a sister to Operation BBQ Relief. If you buy a seat to the class and decide to buy a raffle ticket, if you happen to win, the total of the class will be immediately refunded in full. I am currently working on getting a block of hotels for those coming in from out of town. I just need a rough idea of how many might be looking for a hotel. Please PM me if you have any interest.

I apologize to everyone before that express interest about the class. My computer crashed and I lost the contact email list I had. If you did not receive a PM, please let me know.

We just got approval from Cabelas, so the official flyer will be finalized shortly...legal dept. stuff. If you go to swamp boys bbq website, he has older flyers that have information on the same format class. Once Rob has that finalized, sales will be through him. I will try to get you that information by today or tomorrow.

I just got word from Rob that there will be a second ticket to the class that has been donated and will be raffled off. The proceeds of the second ticket will go to support local Scottie Johnson's charity organization, Cancer Sucks Chicago. Below is information from Sweet Baby Ray about Illinois BBQ Alliance.

View attachment 72251

You can also learn more info about Scotties organization at:

www.cancersuckschicago.com

Last edited:
The flier and application are now online. I am still working on the raffle for the 2 class seats, will let you know when that part is ready.
http://www.swampboys.com/wordpress/?p=799
ChicagoClassPoster1.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Thanks
Reactions: MAP
Dang! I was hoping to hit this one but I've made plans for that weekend already.

Swamp Boys won ANOTHER GC this weekend. Swamp Boys has now won 7 GCs and 5 RGCs this year. Swamp Boys ranked 11th in the National BBQ Rankings and likely to move up after this weekend. Raffle tickets to this class are still available for purchase for a chance to win a seat to his class as well as the actual purchased seats.

• Thanks
Reactions: Rub
OK another GC this weekend at the Triple Crown Championship. In my last 7 contests I have won four GCs, two RGCs, and one 3rd overall. Four contests and 3 GCs and 1 RGC since this thread was started.

Big question: What are you waiting for? :wink:

trying to figure if I could afford the divorce if I took the class...

for me it should be automatic to take this. I have taken classes the last couple years but none who cooked on cookers similar to what I compete with . Rub has done well with Stumps when he was using them.

Stumps aside Coz, it sounds like you could give Rub any cooker and his TECHNIQUE is what wins it for him. Thats why this class would pan out well for anyone serious about competing. When setting this class up with him, I asked what kind of cooker he wanted me to secure. His response, "I'm sponsored by Yoder, I was sponsored by Stumps, so those work. But generally you give me any cooker and a crash course and I can do well with it. My cooking techniques are what wins."
This is just my opinion, but I believe great competitiors can cook on any cooker out there, as long as they truly understand how to cook and master "their technique", they can do well on anything.

• Thanks
I couldnt agree more Dan. It would just be nice to get some info from some one that has cooked on the type of cookers that I use. Ya know theres always a nugget of info that you may find that you wouldnt get otherwise .

• Thanks
Keep away from that nugget of information my friend, I'm already getting my tush wiped through the dirt by you. :wink:

I did some Swamp Boys number crunching for 2012. Most of this info doesn't get posted here at the Brethren during the year so just to let you know how it went...

Swamp Boys 2012 By the Numbers:
Contests: 29
Sanctioning Bodies: 3
States Competed In: 5
Miles Traveled: 12,045
Grand Championships: 8
Reserve Grand Championships: 5
Third Overall: 4
Finished in Top 3 Overall: 17 out of 29 times = 59%
Category Wins: 21
Category Top 5’s: 5

Hope to see you at Cabela's in March!

Time to add yet another RGC to the list. I believe in the past 8 contests:
4 - GC's
3 - RGC's
1 - 3rd overall

Do yourself a favor and learn what is winning right NOW to date!!

• Thanks
Back