• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Beer Can Chicken on the Kettle.

Mad Max

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I needed to break in, the Kettle, I just got from CL, so I hit the local supermarket, in search of what to do. I came across a sale, for whole chickens, for .59 cents a pound, so I picked up 2, so I can try out, my latest John Henry Rub. The birds weighed about 4.5 #'s each.

beer1.jpg

beer2.jpg

The new addition to the family.

beer4.jpg

The Rub....

I then stop at Home Depot, for some drip pans and while in the store, I see they have the new Kingsford "Competition" charcoal. So, I pick up 2 bags to it a test drive.
beer3.jpg

I get home and get the kettle ready, start to prep. the birds, get the chimney started and all the ingredients together.
beer7.jpg

beer6.jpg

beer8.jpg

I put a bit of EVOO on the birds and then liberally applied the Texas Chicken Tickler rub.
beer5.jpg

Propped the birds and the beer cans, on the holders, poured some of the rub, into the beer, added a handful of Mesquite chips, to the charcoal,and we were ready to put the chickens, on the grill. Wedged a piece of onion, on top, to help keep the steam of the beer. Every 25 minutes or so, I sprayed them with a mix of OJ, white cooking wine, and melted butter.
beer9.jpg

After about a 1 hour and 15 min. I tested the thigh with the Superbly Fast Red Thermapen and got an internal temp. of 185 degrees.
beer10.jpg

I took them off, foiled them and let them rest for about 15 min. Then carved them up.
beer11.jpg

beer12.jpg

Very flavorful, good color, good taste of mesquite, very juicy. I likey the Texas Chicken Tickler rub.

I couldn't help but notice the RED (Thermapen) WHITE (Meat) and BLUE (Kettle) theme you had going there. :biggrin:

Those birds look excellent and very juicy. I would call that a perfect maiden voyage.

I couldn't help but notice the RED (Thermapen) WHITE (Meat) and BLUE (Kettle) theme you had going there. :biggrin:

Those birds look excellent and very juicy. I would call that a perfect maiden voyage.

Great call there brother. BBQ and flying the American Flag colors just go together!!!!! Chicken looks great. We love chicken that way.

Yeah, along with a pack of Smarties?!?

Very nice looking birds, you should use one for soup and send me some!

I like your new kettle too.

Subliminal message, thanks for pointing it out.

Yeah, along with a pack of Smarties?!?

Very nice looking birds, you should use one for soup and send me some!

I like your new kettle too.

Still can't shake my addiction to "smarties", specially the sweet tart ones. Hopefully, will get to make a Jambalaya, with the what was left. Next time, I will cook, freeze, vacuum seal and send you a bird.:wink:

Looks great. Did you like the Kingsford

The two things that I noticed was, that it last longer, than the regular kingsford and it burns very clean, less of the charcoal smell, than the regular.
Just hope the price comes down a bit $8.99 for 12# bag.

Back