First cook with wife's Masterbuilt

Shadowdog500

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
My wife ordered a Masterbuilt last week so she can smoke food without messing with charcoal. We did our first cook today which was pretty easy, but IMHO the flavor isn't quite the same.

I do like having 4 racks that you can get to each level without lifting the top levels out to get to, and how easy the thing is to use. But to be quite honest i think a WSM with an IQ110 or other temp controller is just as easy and gives more flavor.

We wound up making baby back ribs and chicken. We also toasted pecans in butter on the top rack for smoked chicken salad.

Here are photos of the results from our first cook.

Dakota is waiting for a smokey dinner!
37070bb4be4ede12103a1ccace3e9fea_zps545414a2.jpg

679b498f7bdc39871e4c056cc9004ed9_zps8be3098f.jpg

55b0c6693853dd219f9a8eef9a701006_zpsdf3c971c.jpg

Chris

Actually lookin pretty good from here. Nice ribs. I have that same smoker and agree, it lacks a bit. I dont know if you are soaking your wood chips, but if you are, try skipping that. Ive got much better results by leaving them dry, and adding them a bit more often. I used to have quite a bit of trouble getting consistent results with wet chips. Sometimes they burned, sometimes they didnt. Keep the vent at least 3/4 open always. Also do yourself a favor, always unplug that control panel and take it inside or it will go bad on ya. If you work with it a bit, you can put out some good Que.

A tip for the masterbuilt users.

Add a briquette or 2 to the smoker chip tray. Since it is electric, the heat is cycled on and off, and during the off cycles, your chips are theoretically not smoking. By having the briquettes in the chip tray, they stay lit and help with the smoke. Also, I noticed that having the briquettes gave a small smoke ring to the meat.

Back