Smoke Flavor....Are we numb to it????

Q-Dat

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
The other thread on smoke flavor got me thinking. When we spend all day cooking something, naturally we are going to spend a significant amount of time smelling smoke. I wonder if over the course of the day maybe our senses get a little numbed to it. I know that our taste buds aren't getting clogged with smoke, but our smellers could sure be affected, and smelling is in a way part of tasting.

I have many times cooked up some Q and thought "Its pretty good, but not smoky enough." But the next day, when I get out the leftovers be it ribs, chicken or whatever I always seem to find that the smoke flavor has intensified.

I always thought that somehow the flavor got stronger in the fridge, but now I wonder if it wasn't just the fact that my nose was now clear of all previous smoke and no longer dulled to it.

Any thoughts?

Yes, you're right, and it's also true of salt. People who are heavy handed often don't realize that others can find it excessive.

Great question - I also find leftover bbq is more smokey (& a lot of times I like it better). Next time I'll ask my lovely wife if she can taste a difference from day to day.

Ive found that a lot of things taste better the next day after smoking something...specially if I get a good face full of smoke a couple times :wink:

It makes sense. Smell and taste are definitely connected.

Another thing that supports Q-Dat's theory is that I do not smell the smokiness of my clothing at the end of a day of BBQ-ing, but if I sniff my shirt the next morning, it smells like a smokehouse.

CD

The other thread on smoke flavor got me thinking. When we spend all day cooking something, naturally we are going to spend a significant amount of time smelling smoke. I wonder if over the course of the day maybe our senses get a little numbed to it. I know that our taste buds aren't getting clogged with smoke, but our smellers could sure be affected, and smelling is in a way part of tasting.

I have many times cooked up some Q and thought "Its pretty good, but not smoky enough." But the next day, when I get out the leftovers be it ribs, chicken or whatever I always seem to find that the smoke flavor has intensified.

I always thought that somehow the flavor got stronger in the fridge, but now I wonder if it wasn't just the fact that my nose was now clear of all previous smoke and no longer dulled to it.

Any thoughts?

i totally agree. i did this last week. I had someone else smoke the food and it tasted way good. But when i spend so much time in the smoke, i dont like my food. i thought the very thought you did.

Just take a shower, or go for a swim, after smoking and before eating. Clears out your sinus, makes you more presentable AND the food tastes better. A win/win/win. :thumb:

Just take a shower, or go for a swim, after smoking and before eating. Clears out your sinus, makes you more presentable AND the food tastes better. A win/win/win. :thumb:

Do you think I should still shower even if it isn't Saturday? ;)

Yea I noticed after the last time I smoked that it tasted delicious and smelled even better when I took a shower after cooking it and before eating it

Right on with the supposition that a "rinse" of one nature or another will rejuvenate your abilities to appreciate the olafactory experience of smoked meats. But I would submit that if you were to simply wash your face thoroughly, to the point where you are actually rinsing your nose out, too and then rinse out your mouth, as well... you'd be on the right road to much fuller appreciation of your smokey wares. Get the smokey smell off of you. Maybe change your shirt, too. Dry off and go taste your smoked creation. You'll have a much more accurate appreciation for what you've produced. But the most important step of what I just suggested is rinsing out your NOSE. Why? Because there are three types of receptors in our body that contribute to the "sensation" or identification of FLAVOR. While one is certainly your tongue tasting it, another is your nose SMELLING it and ...hang onto your panty hose Herbert, here it comes... your tongue can only discern FIVE distinct qualities of taste while your olafactory function, aka your nose, can distinguish between HUNDREDS of tastes!!! Refresh your snoz and you'll be much mo betteh at "Tasting" your smoked meats. "It's twoo, it's twoo!"
( And just what ARE those five elements of taste perception detected by our taste buds? Ah, you know the answer to that...Salty, sweet, bitter, sour and woman, er, uh, um I meant, savory - yeah, that's the ticket! Most everything else we "taste" is actually thanks to our Nose!) Blow your nose and your food tastes better? Rinse it, blow it, run a clean hankie in one side and out the other...Do it however you prefer.

Almost everything is over-smoked to at least some degree in competition cooking these days -- over-smoking has, unfortunately, become the norm. The best meat entries should have a carefully crafted balance of flavor (from meat, smoke, rub, sauce, etc.) but few cooks attain good balance.

I find it curious that the big restaurant chains use no smoke at all. Their ribs are par-boiled, quickly grilled, then slathered with bright red sweet ick. Could it be that the general public doesn't like smoke? Thankfully, there are still some mom & pop BBQ joints that understand how to smoke meat.

Do you think I should still shower even if it isn't Saturday? ;)

Yes, especially BECAUSE it's Saturday. Don't want to miss your only chance this week do you?

Something magical happens in the darkness of the fridge overnite. Most notable on poultry, as the smoke intensifies.

Back