Practice, Practice, Practice....

Black Cat BBQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Now that we are back from Terlingua it was time to get busy practicing Q! :-D

After reading a coupla posts about how some of youse rub your ribs two hours before cooking, I decided to try it. We always rub them the night before. My rub has lots of salt so that was probably why they were always turning out dryish.

I was very happy with the results. Meat came away from the bone, bone dried and turned white, meat was moist! Thanks guys!!

Of course we always practice chicken. I didnt trim the thighs, just trying to get good color and bite through skin. I pulled some of the meat off one of the thighs to show the moistness...

ALX was the official tester.

Enjoy! We did!! :biggrin:

Attachments

• 08 Tug of War 017.jpg
    08 Tug of War 017.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
The significance of your bite marks on that rib are not lost on me. Everything looks wonderful.

Both your chicken and ribs look wonderful. Lucky ALX for being the tester!

There's no substitute for practice and experience.

I've often told folks that I'd gladly share my recipes and let them cook with me or watch me cook. A couple folks have taken me up on the deal, but still say they're not able to produce the same results.

Ribs and chicken look good! How was Terlingua? I figured with the economy, attendance would be down. Gas prices did drop some, though! Been a couple of years since I've gone.

Thanks everyone!

The skin was close to bite through...I think because I didnt overly trim the chix like for a comp and that may have been why. They were moist tho!

Ribs and chicken look good! How was Terlingua? I figured with the economy, attendance would be down. Gas prices did drop some, though! Been a couple of years since I've gone.

Thanks!

It was AWESOME! 337 cooks on Saturday for the BIG SHOW. My husband was oh so close to getting onto the finals table - top 24. He was 1 of the 5 chilis that did not advance. It was cool to see him make it that far being from MD. The winner was a former MD cook and resident who now resides in the Great State of Texas. Gas prices did not seem to affect attendence whatsoever. I hope this isnt too offtopic..... :icon_shock1:

Black Cat - any chance you might start a thread about your Terlingua trip (with pics)? I bet a few of the boys would like to hear about it. Thanks.

Any pron that starts with a beer, ends with a glass of wine and has a whole bunch of delicious looking food in the middle has my vote. And if you ever need another taster just call.

Back